Chapter 6

Uriel’s POV:

“I’m truly impressed by the depth of Lady Arkwright’s love for Your Highness. Despite being falsely accused, she stood tall. That’s just how much she loves you. How envious I am.”

“For her to not let emotions get the best of her, what a queen material.”

“…”

“Your Highness, what’s wrong?”

Thaddeus tilted his head, causing his ivory black hair to sway.

I see. That’s how the outsiders view our relationship.

In a sense, it was the result of the queen’s education. At the same time, it was also the fruit of Emmeline’s efforts so far.

But the truth is…

“…If it’s Emmeline, although it may be love, it isn’t the kind you’d feel towards a member of the opposite sex.”

“Huh?”

You guys don’t understand, right?

Same, I didn’t want to understand, either.

“…Uhm, basically, what you’re saying is…?”

“Lady Arkwright isn’t in love with Your Highness?”

“Hey, Ezekiel, you’re being uncouth. Anyway, is that true?”

“That’s right.”

Thaddeus’ gaze was filled with both dread and shock. Meanwhile, Ezekiel’s turned into a pitiful, painful one.

Will these two stop with the pity party?

“To my great trouble, Emmeline believes in Lady Dunning’s words. It led her to think that I’ve finally found my true love, which is Lady Dunning. To make matters worse, she’s preparing to annul our engagement. Hence, I’m currently at a loss for where and how to mend things. not to mention, she also said that she’d earnestly support my relationship with Lady Dunning.”

“…Wow.”

“Your Highness, you’re truly pitiful.”

Ezekiel regretfully shook his head.

How annoying.

At that point, even the swaying of his sand-beige hair irritated me. But for the time being, I had to calm down. There was no point in getting angry.

“If you truly think so, make haste with the investigation. If you don’t uncover the church’s real motive soon, we’ll have no choice but to let Lady Dunning off the hook.”

“Understood!”

I always found Lady Dunning’s innocent act as annoying. She would not only refer to me using my first name but also brazenly touch me without my consent. I couldn’t overlook such uncouth behavior of her forever.

While visiting the city incognito, I encountered Lady Dunning several times. Initially, I thought that we happened to meet by chance. However, after the same thing had occurred multiple times, I began to feel suspicious. Even though the times and days differed, she’d always bump into me.

The same would happen at school. Our encounter rate was unusual, as if she was waiting for me. If Lady Dunning indeed did it intentionally, it was a serious issue. After all, she was very well-informed of a Crown Prince’s schedule and travel route for someone of her stature.

Did anyone divulge it to her?

No, that couldn’t be.

Even after I had spontaneously changed my schedule, Lady Dunning would still appear. It was as if she had foreseen everything. Many of her words and deeds were also dubious.

It was as if she could predict the future.

I wonder what’s happening.

Still, collection? She loved to blabber nonsensically. She’d spout some incomprehensible lines, such as capture event, favorability, and what not.

Well, she was a creep. It wouldn’t be strange if she were also taking drugs.

When she’d tell me about an event from my childhood that only I should’ve known, I got goosebumps. Not even Emmeline knew of it. The horror I felt was akin to the fear of the unknown.

Instead of anything, Lady Dunning’s pleasant mannerism only gave me chills. I felt a sense of disgust toward her. It was as if she was peeping into my heart. Thaddeus and Ezekiel had the same thought. They reported that she was once seen leaping while screaming, “Harem Mode, GET!”

…As I thought, she had a screw loose.

What does Emmeline see in Lady Dunning that makes her believe she could become a decent Crown Princess?

I had always thought that Emmeline was a naturally dense girl. Now, I began to doubt her ability to discern people, as well…

Regardless, some of the things that Lady Dunning foretold became true. That girl certainly had some mysterious power. Even if she was severely lacking in the personality department, I had to admit at least that.

Therefore, the church and some aristocrats felt the necessity to protect Lady Dunning. They considered her a saint. Due to that, I had to overlook many of her problematic behaviors until that point. However, Lady Dunning was getting bolder with each progressing day. To put it simply, she was getting out of hand.

Excessive contact, such as hugging my arm, had become commonplace. To me, it was nothing more than torture. I was not too fond of it. Who’d like to be in close contact with a person they loathed? I couldn’t even let it show on my face. If I could, I’d like to shake her off. Even better, in front of Emmeline.

Instead of her, I wanted to be hugged by Emmeline. I wanted to show her off in public as my only beloved. For her to lock arms with me… How happy would I be? But life never went as planned.

For example, most of the time that should’ve been devoted to Emmeline, I had to spend on Lady Dunning reluctantly. I fully understood the impatience of both Thaddeus and Ezekiel. I, for one, hadn’t resolved any of Emmeline’s misunderstandings.

No matter what I said, it’d only result in an outlandish interpretation made by Emmeline. I couldn’t change her perception. Emmeline just wouldn’t understand my love. At the same time, she couldn’t give me any definitive statement, either. I was made aware that she was also overwhelmed.

I knew that I was lacking in calm and that I was rushing things. Still, it was difficult not to be impatient when I saw Emmeline behaving that way.

It was that naturally oblivious girl we were talking about. If I didn’t do anything soon, she could genuinely persuade His Majesty to annul our engagement.

At the very least, I didn’t think His Majesty would easily let her go. After all, he had loved her since she was a child.

Still, it was that Emmeline.

I never knew what kind of curveball she’d throw. I had to be careful.

As I agonized, I heard Thaddeus and Ezekiel quietly sympathizing.

“His Highness is at the terminal stage.”

“Truly, what hardship. If my fiancée were to cheer me to pursue another woman, I wouldn’t be able to sleep for three days straight.”

“Only Lady Arkwright could say such a thing to His Highness, who’s the epitome of a perfect prince.”

“To not feel even a shred of love, is Lady Arkwright’s heart made of steel?”

How noisy.

Won’t they refrain from taking a jab at my pride any further? I’m going crazy.

Haaa… What should I do?

After everything is resolved, prepare yourself, Emmeline.

I’ll make you cry.