Chapter Five

"What did you do?" Kirito asked, his jaw dropping as he stared at the wolves following me.

I grinned and looked back at them myself.

"Magnificent aren't they?" I laughed, clapping my hands excitedly.

"How?" The girl murmured, coming out from behind Kirito.

"Trade secrets, sorry!" I told her.

"Come on." Kirito said with a sigh. He apparently didn't even want to know. "Let's go get this boss!"

********
"Let's go over it again." Kirito said, instantly taking charge.

Katsu rolled his eyes. I have to admit, I was feeling about the same. This was the fifth time he was going over it with us.

"We're the backup." I quickly cut in, repeating what he had said multiple times, "So, our target's gonna be the boss's minions -- the Ruin Kobold Sentinels."

"I'll use a sword skill to knock their weapons up and out of the way. When I do, switch and jump in." Kirito continued, tossing me a dirty look. "We will work in two groups. Harumi, Katsu, you two will be a team. You will use the same technique."

The girl looked at me for a minute before speaking up. "What about her wolves. They could be of some use."

I looked down at Kuro and Gurē. They were calmly sitting at my feet, not noticing the cautious looks they recieved from other parties.

"Yes!" Katsu immediately agreed, "They can totally help. Kuro can stay with us, and Gurē can go with you. They can help watch our backs!"

Kirito looked skeptical about the idea that my wolves could be of any use, but he nodded. He looked at me and, catching the message, I told Gurē to go with him and the girl to protect them.

I wasn't sure if the gray wolf got the message, but he moved to stand by Kirito, so I left it alone. Kirito opened his mouth to say something else, but Diabel spoke up, cutting him off.

"Listen up, everyone. I've only got one thing to say to you. Let's win! Come on!"

"Great pep talk." Katsu muttered next to me as they opened the door.

I elbowed him in the side and pulled out my sword, preparing my attack. Kuro and Gurē stood and started growling, their teeth bared. They looked ready to kill.

"Commence attack!" Diabel shouted, running into the room. "Squads A and C, switch in! Here it comes! Squad B, block! Squad C, keep guarding and prepare to switch! Everyone else, when you fall back, regroup and flank them! Squads D, E and F, keep those minions off us!"

Everyone raced after him, yelling war cries. The room was filled with small monsters. Everyone jerked into action. The room was soon filled with shouts, and the crashing of weapons.

I rushed at the first monster I laid my eyes on, Katsu and Kuro right behind me. I wrestled with it for a bit, but soon got it defenseless, giving Katsu the opportunity to rush forward and finish it off.

I could hear the snarls of my wolves as they fought. I hoped they were okay, but I didn't settle on the thought before attacking another Kobold. We kept our technique going, until the room was a little less crowded.

We met up with Kirito, the girl, and the guy, Kibaou, from yesterday. They were breathing just as hard as we were. I was relieved to see Gurē with just a couple of scratches.

I only had time to check out the rest of them, before a loud crash sounded. I looked around and saw a ginormous monster standing in the middle of the room.

It was the boss.

"Looks like the guide book was right." Kibaou said, grimly.

"Stay back! I've got it!" Diabel shouted, racing towards the beast.

"I thought the plan was for everyone in the group to surround it!" Kirito exclaimed in disbelief.

We watched for a bit as the fight commenced. Nobody moved. Suddenly, the beast pulled out its weapon.

A sudden realization came to Kirito and he yelled out, "Wait, stop!"

"Huh? What's wrong?" Katsu asked, frowning.

"It's no good! Get out of there!" Kirito yelled, ignoring us.

"Diabel! No!" Kibaou shouted, jerking our attention back to the fight.

Diabel had flown across the room and was laying on the ground, still. We rushed over, ignoring the beast. Diabel's HP was gone and he was already starting to pixilate.

"Diabel!" Kirito muttered, dropping down to his knees. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"You know -- you were a beta-tester too, weren't you?" Diabel choked.

I gasped, gaping at the both of them. It suddenly made sense why Kirito was the way he was. He was a beta-tester. His next words only confirmed it.

"You were after the Last Attack Bonus -- the rare item. You're just like me, a beta-tester." There was absolute certainty in Kirito's voice.

"Please... you have to... defeat the boss... for everyone here!" Diabel whispered, half his body already gone.

Kirito nodded grimly, and the next second, Diabel was gone. Kirito stood up, his face hard. He started forward, his sword at his side.
I whistled, bring my wolves to my side, and followed after him. The girl was the next to follow.

"Katsu, you coming?" I called over to him.

He stood there a second longer, staring at the spot where Diabel had laid not even a minute ago. Then he looked over at me, nodded, and followed, his face dark.

"We will hit him just like we did the minions!" Kirito announced, turning to the girl.

"What about us?" I asked.

"Stay back unless we need you. Destroy the rest of the Kobolds."

I nodded, tightening my grip on the hilt of my sword. I whistled again, bringing my wolves to attention.

We were all ready to avenge Diabel. Nobody else was going to die today.

Nobody.