III. GENTLEMEN CALLERS

。・゜・✫ III

. 。・゜・✫ III. GENTLEMEN CALLERS ✫・゜・。.
" the young men of the ton have selected their own diamond. "

The morning following the Harrisons' ball, Benedict Bridgerton woke up early. He got himself dressed and combed his fluffy brown hair, hoping it would stay in place, before heading downstairs, where his family was eating breakfast.

Anthony sat at the head of the table, reading over the daily newspaper. Benedict took a seat next to Eloise, his favorite sister, noticing that she was reading a copy of Lady Whistledown.

"She's published early today," Benedict quipped, leaning over Eloise's shoulder to get a glimpse of the publication.

"Of course she has," Eloise muttered in her gravelly voice.

"Anything of note?" he asked.

Eloise smirked. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Benedict chuckled. Eloise's response told him that there was indeed something in Lady Whistledown that he would consider "of note."

"Alright, out with it, Eloise," Anthony interrupted, his eyes leaving the newspaper and narrowing in on the paper in his sister's hands. "What has she written about us this time?"

"Not us specifically," Eloise said, folding the document and slipping it over to Benedict.

Benedict picked it up and cleared his throat, preparing to read aloud.

"'The queen may have selected her Diamond in Miss Harriet Finch, but the young men of the Ton have selected their own: Miss Elizabeth Lafferty,'" Benedict paused, his eyes widening at the mention of his friend. "Whistledown is writing about Bex?"

"Oh go on," Eloise prodded, a smirk residing permanently on her face.

"'With news of her father, the Baron Vaughan's, failing health, many young men in attendance at Lord and Lady Harrisons' ball last night made it their goal to rub elbows with Miss Lafferty. Lord Lafferty's estate inheritance is a unique one, as if Miss Elizabeth should marry before her father's passing, the estate and his title will pass on to her husband, rather than a distant relative.'"

Benedict felt his mouth grow dry as he read Lady Whistledown's account of Bex's situation. He didn't like seeing her name in the print of such a publication.

"'Last night, Miss Elizabeth spent a great deal of time with Mr. Peter Harrison, who has recently returned from his studies abroad. While Mr. Harrison is certainly a desirable suitor, I cannot help but keep an eye on Mr. Benedict Bridgerton, who is known to have been in Miss Elizabeth's close circle for many years,'" Benedict paused, letting out a short laugh. "This is crazy," he said, shoving the paper back towards Eloise. "Whistledown thinks I plan to court Bex?"