82. Happy Now

I just want to scream out loud
Can I be happy now?
Been down on my knees
I learned how to bleed
I'm turnin my world around

May Parker.

One of the sweetest, most caring people I've met in my whole life.

Yes, technically we were not related, but she treated me like I was her own daughter and took me under her wing when I needed her the most. She let me into her house and taught me lessons when my mom couldn't. I had only been with her for a couple of years... so I couldn't imagine how heavy Peter, the one who was actually related to her by blood, and his pain felt.

He didn't dare speak a word after we fled the scene. I just stayed by his side, squeezing his hand and being there in the inevitable moment when he'd burst either screaming or crying. Either way, I knew I had to help him. The first sign that you failed as a hero, vigilante, or whatever you wanna call it is not being able to save someone. We both secretly knew it.

And the second failure you can commit as a superhero is to hold a grudge against the enemy. Implicit, but it's basically a rule that claims you're one of the good ones. That you can brush off your worries and keep going. That you're not thirsty for revenge.

I'm unaware of where I stand in that rule.

As we look at J. Jonah Jameson giving a report of what happened, I can feel my chest getting heavy and my legs giving up on standing. How twisted can someone be to not dig a little deeper? They're aware we're basically kids and they're exploiting the series of events as if we are capable of creating some intricate mastermind. I want to throw up and put the city on fire.

The worst part is not knowing what is Peter's mind. He's somber, letting the rain fall on his face. I took my thumb and wiped away the droplets, as well as the small line of blood that dripped from his head. I've never seen him like this before.

The news claim that, wherever Spiderman goes, 'chaos and calamity ensue. Everything Spiderman touches comes to ruin.' He also stated that the innocent pick up the pieces of said disaster. I'd say he doesn't even know what he's talking about.

"He's right, bee," Peter's thoughts echoed as they contrasted with mine.

My head snapped at the sound of his broken voice. "What? Y-you can't believe that."

"I've lost my parents. I've lost Ben. I've lost you. Twice. And now..." he sniffled.

"Oh, Peter..." I cupped his cheeks, kissing his forehead as gently as possible. "You're never gonna bring calamity to me, okay? You've saved my life many times and I wouldn't be here without you."

For the next few minutes, we stayed in a blanket of silence, just hearing our heartbeats, sniffles, and our chests rise and fall. Nonetheless, I was grateful when MJ and Ned came rushing. I'm glad they could figure out where Peter wanted to go and they came. We all hugged and sobbed with each other, taking in a slight breath of relief the four of us were okay.

However, MJ cut the reunion short as he wiped her emotions with her sweater's sleeve. "Peter, there's... there's some people here... who..."

Perhaps it was my bruised eye that let me see double. Oh, no, wait there are actually two silhouettes stuck to the side of the building. Slowly but surely, they jumped down to our level... in eerily familiar movements.

Peter stood up in confusion, seeming to catch who they were before I did. "Hey. Wait, wait, whoa."

A guy in his 30's, maybe 40s, had a Spiderman suit on. "Sorry... about May."

And the other one wore a Spiderman suit too, but he looked younger. "Yeah. Sorry. I got some understanding of..."

Both had physical characteristics of Peter's: brown hair,  kind eyes, scrawny, yet somehow fit, and a slightly awkward posture. It was creepy.