"so, how do we know when y/n's gonna be here?" akaashi asked.

"whenever we hear doors shut or the front door unlock." kenji replied and checked his watch. "daiki has door duties and i'm gonna get check on him."

akaashi placed his bag on the table and returned his attention to the cat in his hand. he wasn't sure if he still had ownership over this cat since before he moved y/n said they had "shared custody"

rin was clawing at his shirt, wanting to be put down on the floor. akaashi was about to let her down when daiki started whisper-shouting that y/n and lana were here.

everyone began hiding somewhere and kenji turned off the lights, staying by the door, deciding to just hide behind it. akaashi hid behind the wall in the living room and kept rin in his arms.

"i want his dino hat." lana's voice was the first to appear.

"ask your dad to get one for you. or just go and steal his." y/n's voice was next. "he looked like he had a few siblings, he's probably used to people stealing from him."

"happy birthday!" everyone popped out from their hiding spots and kaede carried out a cake with the candles lit.

akaashi let rin down and the cat ran straight towards y/n. she looked down at their cat and then up to akaashi with a smile on her face.

lana threw up a handful of confetti at her cousin before running over to her dad. "did i do a good job?" she asked as daiki lifted her up.

"the best." he kissed her forehead before lana started singing happy birthday, forgetting the words halfway through.

y/n blew out the candles before the lights were turned back on. everyone began hugging and kissing her while akaashi lingered in the back.

"i'm here!" bokuto burst through the door and his eyes landed on y/n who was standing in front of him. "happy birthday!" he wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her up into a hug.

"thank you!" y/n said when bokuto dropped her back down to her feet. her eyes searched for one person in the crowd of people and she smiled when she found akaashi.

everyone else began hoarding the cake that kaede was beginning to cut. "hi." y/n stood next to him and leaned her head against the wall.

"happy birthday." he reached out for her hand and wrapped his pinky around hers. "how was your day with lana?"

"very interesting." she looked down at their linked pinkies and let a smile grow on her face. "she met these four kids around her age and ended up playing on the playground with all of them for a few hours while i talked with their parents. but lana showed me all her favorite ice cream places and we tried a bunch of flavors."

"sounds fun." akaashi turned and accepted the plate of cake from emi. he took a piece of the cake with the fork and put it in his mouth. "this is good cake."

he tried to keep up small talk, but he couldn't help but notice y/n staring at him like she was trying to figure something out.

"hi!" akaashi looked down to see lana standing between them and looking up. "do you remember me?" she played with the ends of her dress while waiting for his answer.

"lana." she gave him a wide grin that showed off all her baby teeth. akaashi handed his plate of cake to y/n before leaning down to pick up the little girl.

y/n started to eat the cake while watching her cousin squeeze akaashi's face between her tiny hands while enthusiastically telling her about her day.

"so, when do you open presents?" konoha nudged y/n when he passed by.

"whenever my parents want pictures." she replied and finished up the cake. "which should be soon. why?"

"cause i wanna know what he got you." konoha nodded over to akaashi who was still listening to lana with his undivided attention.

"that's just gonna make me not want to open his present with you there." y/n went to grab another slice of cake and akaashi followed after her while konoha went to talk to bokuto.

"cake. cake. cake." lana cheered when she saw her cousin take a slice. "i want cake."

y/n grabbed another fork and took a small piece of the cake off for lana. akaashi bent down so she could eat it.

"i love cake." she clapped her hands and leaned her head forward for another piece. akaashi leaned down so lana had an easier way to eat while y/n kept feeding her cousin.

the click of a camera made all three of them look up at the same time. kenji had a camera in his hands and pulled back to look at the photo he took.

"you look like a cute little family." kaede took one look at the picture and then back up at the three of them.

"nope." daiki took his daughter back and lana happily went back to her father.

"it's okay, we have rin." y/n looked around for their cat, but the grey cat was nowhere to be seen. "somewhere."

"still got that shared custody?" akaashi wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"of course. does your new apartment allow pets?" y/n rested her chin on his shoulder.

"yes."

"perfect. i'll bring rin over to you whenever you want." y/n was about to wrap her arms around akaashi, but was dragged away by her overexcited sister and roommate.

"presents!" konoha shouted in excitement before jumping over the back of the couch and landed on the cushions.

kaede followed his lead and both of them practically carried y/n to make her sit down between them. kenji ran over with his camera and began throwing presents at his daughter.

"you guys are scary when you're excited." y/n looked around at the three of them. she caught one of the presents kenji was throwing at her and began to unwrap it.

akaashi stood next to the armrest where konoha was sitting and glanced back and forth between y/n and his present.

a part of him wanted her to open it when they weren't in front of his entire family. it was something no one else would understand except the two of them.

the only problem was how he would get his present back from the table.

"i have a favor to ask you." akaashi whispered to bokuto who was shoving cake into his mouth.

"yeah?"

"can you get that blue bag for me?" akaashi pointed out the bag he was talking about.

"give me a minute." bokuto hurried up and ate the rest of the cake before handing his plate to akaashi and moving to the table.

akaashi expected him to just walk up and take the bag, but this was bokuto he had asked.

bokuto dropped down to the floor and started to roll like a ninja. akaashi could see that his friend caught the attention of many.

lana was slapping her dad's shoulder repeatedly, akio was staring at bokuto with his eyebrows raised, y/n had paused for a second before slowly ripping the paper off the present, and emi was silently laughing behind her hand.

but bokuto successful retrieved the blue bag in the end. he casually handed it over to akaashi before going to get himself another slice of cake.

y/n looked over her shoulder at akaashi and he gave her a smile before shoving the bag behind his back. he could wait a few hours before giving her his actual present.

just a few more hours.

~~~
I PUT THE VANITY TOGETHER
TOOK THE ENTIRE DAY BUT ITS DONE

akaashi and lana 🤞