"When are you going to tell me the real reason why you decided to marry me?" she asked.

His brow arched an inch. "I told you—I'm not the person to tell you that. It is part of the contract."

"Stop lying," she said in a lighter tone. "Dad told me there is no contract. Not one with you getting me for a wife at least."

Philip was surprised. "He did?" When she nodded, he turned to her with a frown. "Then why did you marry me? You knew you did not have to."

The question brought a bitter laugh out of her throat. "Despite the craziness of all this, I know my father is in big trouble and when he told me this is the best solution, I believed him."

Philip relaxed a little. "Then why all the questions?"

"You think I am that stupid? Of course, I would want answers. I may have gone through this wedding with eyes shut but there is no way I am getting out of this hell without knowing the truth. And I figured you are the best person to tell me what my father has gotten himself into."

"I can't tell you anything. Just believe what your father told you. It's all need-to-know, trust me."

"Yeah, right," she said dryly. "You'll tell me eventually. I promise you that."

"I'd love to see you try."

*****

Cassandra was suddenly feeling tired to make him talk. She had plenty of time to do that once they got back home. Cassandra looked around her and smiled, feeling the cool wind of the ocean. She looked ahead where the waves were gently splashing against the shore.

Dennis had enjoyed this place, she thought. Then she frowned. Or was it simply her? She could not remember Dennis dipping in the water. He always had his phone with him the whole time. No, of course he enjoyed his stay here. Or maybe he didn't and she only thought so.

There she was again. Doubting each moment she spent with Dennis. The doubting started a long time ago but she had always denied them, thinking she did things right. She did everything that made him happy. He must have enjoyed being with her. He must have.

Cassandra cleared her throat to block the tears.

"I think I'll go dip in."

He frowned, "Dip in?"

"The ocean," she tipped her chin at the direction of the waves.

"It's dark out there, Cass, I don't think it's safe. No one's even out there."

"I won't go far," she stood and started walking.

"Hey," he tried to call, but she knew he knew her enough to know that she was never going to listen. "Damn," he muttered and followed after her.

Cassandra had already reached the part where the water met the shore. She dipped her foot into the fresh wave and jumped, surprised by the coldness. "God its freezing!" she shouted, laughing.

"Cass, let's go, you can't possibly take a dip in this water," Philip took her hand and began to pull her back.

She pulled right back, chuckling. Yes, she was not such a good drunk all the time. "Just one dip!"

"You'll freeze to death!" he shouted as the wind grew stronger.

The beer could have been a sort of energy drink for her because she was able to get away from his grip and she started to run. Philip ran after her, caught her around the waist, and carried her back from the waves, shouting about her impulsiveness. She struggled with a laugh and that was what made them both land on the sand.

"I give up," he said, feeling the pain on his back, his eyes closed. Cassandra landed with him, but it was mostly his fall because she was on top. He rolled to his side with a grunt, not letting go of her waist. Her back was against his chest and when her drunken laughter finally subsided, she turned to face him with laughing eyes.

"Thank you," she said in a whisper.

His eyebrows met. "For what?"

"For making me laugh," she replied as she wiped away a tear.

"You laughed on your own," he retorted, "because you're drunk."

"It's still the same," she said, "I wouldn't have laughed if I was alone."

"Are you sad?" he asked. His question was broad and sounded stupid, but she knew what he meant.

"No...yes...maybe."

"Is it because of this marriage?"

She chuckled again, "No. I'm pissed and angry to what you and my father did, but it is not something to cry over. I know how to deal with it."

"But you can't deal with the reason that keeps you...unhappy," he stated matter-of-factly.

Cassandra just smiled in response. She was drunk, but she had learned a long time ago how to keep quiet and keep things to herself with or without alcohol.

"You make me wonder about a lot of things about you, you know that?" his eyes looked deeper into hers. Their position on the sand was not uncomfortable at all. Actually, the wind was helping ease down the haziness the beer had brought earlier. Like real lovers, they lay there on the sand, arms around each other talking and gazing into each other's eyes contentedly without bothering to have another brawl.

For the first time, they were at peace.

"Like what?" she asked softly.

He shrugged, "I don't know. Why you fear riding shotgun? Why you wear a façade to hide the great sadness I know is there somewhere... and many others."

Cassandra was quite taken aback. She didn't know he was that observant.

"How can you say I'm unhappy?"

"Your eyes...I don't know, I just know," he shrugged and she saw him grin genuinely for the first time.

Cassandra returned the smile, but it did not actually reach her eyes because she was quite busy looking at his really edible lips. When she returned her eyes back to his, she saw that same fire of longing again. She knew that look. She had seen it in his eyes from time to time, but it easily went away every time they got into an argument. And she was quite sure he could see that same longing in her eyes as well.

She felt his arm tighten around her and his head drew closer, his lips getting nearer.

Cassandra closed her eyes and tilted her chin to meet his kiss.