Chapter Twenty

Hello new author here. I didn't write this beneath me. I thought it was funny that the Original Author did this so I kept it.

So...I'm gonna do the disclaimer thing again.

Me: I don't own these guys-

Keefe: Heck yeah! I'm my own self! Only I own the great Keefester!

Sophie: We know, Keefe, we know.

Me: -Shannon Messenger does.

Keefe & Sophie: Wait, WHAT?!

Keefe

Dimitar was one of Keefe's mother's favorite allies. He was the brawn of almost every one of Gisela's important operations. He was smart, but stupid enough that he could be manipulated easily. Keefe had never liked him - though to be fair, he never liked the people his parents liked. His dad's friends were always real jerks while his mother's friends were sneaky and deceptive - and not in a good way.

"So you finally figured out the source of the plague," Dimitar drawled. He gave them a toothy smile, exposing his sharp teeth.

Keefe was puzzled for a second. They were here for the cure, not what caused the plague. It suddenly dawned at him that maybe the Neverseen didn't know the cure.

"You know there's no cure," Dimitar sneered, confirming Keefe's suspicions.

"For your mental illness?," Keefe retorted. "Yeah, I bet." He was eternally thankful for the hood and mask covering his face. If word got out that he was helping the Black Swan so...actively, his mother would be livid.

Dimitar snarled. "You think you're so smart with your comebacks. Well, have you noticed how I've been distracting you for the past minute, so that we could surround you?"

For the first time, Keefe saw the shadows creeping around them. Six people with the same tattoos as Dimitar formed a seemingly invincible circle around Keefe and Sophie.

One of them grinned, showing teeth almost as sharp to Dimitar's. "Tell Ro we say hi. If you survive."

They walked closer. Keefe was used to extremely stressful situations, but right now, there was more at stake than usual. He could tell Sophie was thinking of a plan.

"How do you know Ro?," Keefe asked testily, buying them time, though he did actually want to know.

Dimitar answered that one. "I don't look familiar to you? Why, Romhilda is my daughter. And Cadfael, here-" he pointed to the person who had spoken "-is her ex-boyfriend."

Sophie gasped. Keefe could barely contain his surprise. The person who had been training him for the past few days was related to Dimitar?! Now that he knew to look, he could see the slight similarity between them. They had the same silver eyes (Ro does, but I don't know about Dimitar. I'm making this up) and a grayish tinge to their skin. They were both muscular and dangerous-looking.

Keefe wanted to slap his forehead. He should have known.

"Why did you start the plague?," Keefe said, still stalling. He tried to glance at Sophie, but the mask made it hard to.

Dimitar flared his nostrils. "Why should you know?"

Keefe shrugged. "This is the part in the movies where the evil villain tells us their evil plan."

Dimitar snorted, an ugly sound. "It's also the part where the two weaklings escape, and although I know you won't be able to-" he drew his bottom lip back, making his top teeth even more visible "I'll take no chances."