7: Heart of Glass

Start from the beginning

We are, aren't we? What else would Haisley dress me up like this if I'm not going outside?

The thought of stepping out of this royal estate and seeing what's behind the tall walls almost made me giddy.

A temporary escape from this deathly cage.

My body immediately stopped at the sight of a lone knight standing between me and the opened door leading to my freedom—although temporary.

"Good morning, your highness," Lucas greeted with a bright smile that made the female servants gasp dreamingly.

Lucas being here was definitely a no good news. The way how I dress and look today has only one meaning... I'll be meeting my death sooner than I expected.

All the excitement instantly washed away and turned into fright. I could feel the pain in my stomach coming back.

"I— I'm going to die," I blurted out.

Lucas's eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Of course not, princess!" Haisley knelt beside me and held my hands. "Why would you think of such things?"

"I'm just here to escort you, Princess Elaine," The captain of the guard added with reassurance.

"Sir Bismarck will escort you to his majesty, King Edmund. Your father," Haisley said, smiling like there's nothing wrong with what she just had said.

Same difference! Escort me to my death!

"W–wait! My–my stomach... Haisley can I not meet with the king, I think I'm goi—"

"What do you mean? You just went to the toilet," she said and looked towards the knight, "Please take care of her."

Before I could beg or utter an objection I was lifted off the ground.

"No– I don't..My stomach..." I mumbled in futile.

"You're going to be alright, princess. Good luck!"

"Shall we go?" Lucas carried me out of the Garnet Palace leaving the traitor named Haisley.

I busied myself by praying the Saving Light prayer while my complexion continues to go pale. 

Lucas who was carrying me noticed my stiffness. "Princess Elaine, may I ask what would you like to receive for your birthday?"

...Those who believe in the Light shall receive the protection of the Goddess, with fate and purity shall save them from harm—

"Gift?"

"Yes. A present for you. Is there something you like?"

"Th- then I would like to not be killed today," I said in desperation.

"Aren't you a pessimistic one," he chuckled but then his face turned to serious. "I swear to the crown that I will make sure you won't die, your highness."

Did he just swear an oath to the crown? Just like that?

Am I really saved, for now?

In relief, I touch his cheek and looked at Lucas with a grateful face. "Thank you, Sir Bismarck. I shall make sure you'll be in my prayers."

Now that the Captain of the Imperial Guard has my back it's a hundred percent I am safe from being killed today. Let's just stick to Lucas and make sure that I won't do anything to agitate his majesty.

"I didn't know that the princess is quite the devoted one. Ah, and please just call me Lucas."

I pulled my hand. "I don't think so. I seldom pray—"

Maybe that's it! I was not too devoted to the Goddess of Light that's why she turned me into a mortal child as a punishment. I have never spread the of the goddess, I cursed a lot and I seldom seek her.

As we continued our walk to my death we bumped into a short man- a dwarf?- with long sideburns. His height reaches the captain's elbow.

"Is she perhaps your daughter, Sir Bismarck?"

I stared down at the flowers on his arms. A flower that I was very much familiar with.

"I would like to have a wife first, Art." Lucas chuckled but I clearly heard the bitterness in his voice. "She's the second child of King Edmund. Princess Elaine Gwyneth Arias."

Upon hearing the name of the king the short man immediately bowed. "A–Apologies, p–p–puri–princess! I am still ignorant for I'm still nu–new here. I beg for your forgiveness!"

His whole body was trembling in so much fear that I couldn't help but see myself in him. Is that what I look like in front of the king?

"Be at ease, Art. The princess is not like his majesty—I think."

I glanced at Lucas who seemed to be used to seeing people panicking at the name of the king. The short man looked about to faint and this red-headed knight wasn't helping at all.

"Ah.. By the way, princess, this is Art. A gardener from Seonyon Kingdom. He was a gift from the Seonyon's king," Lucas said with an easy smile.

On the other hand, Art the gardener stiffened.

"Why is that?"

"Let's just say that the Seonyon royalties made a wrong move towards your father. And before more damage could happen the Seonyon king gifted us their best gardener since your father was intrigued by their garden."

I felt a sudden chill. Art wasn't a gift but an offering in exchange for forgiveness.

Trying to change the dreaded topic I asked the pale gardener, "What kind of flower is that?"

"Now that I think of it, I haven't seen such flowers," Lucas added

"It's called Ryllis, they don't bloom beautifully like these, it was rather plain looking next to the other flowers back in my land.  I'm glad that I brought some of the seeds with me," Art said looking slightly relieved.

Ryllis. The same name of the flower in the holy land.

"Say...What are you going to do with those? You see, today is actually the princess's birthday."

"Cong–congratulations on your birthday, your highness! It's small compared to the other gift you received but please take these!" He pushed up towards me the flowers.

It wasn't small though, other gifts that were given to me are this dress and a mini heart attack from Lucas. In short, it was one of the best gifts I received on my birthday.

But then, when you look at it, wasn't it like Art was being forced to give me the Ryllis? Isn't this bullying, Lucas?

It would make it worse if I declined the flower. A bad taste sat in my mouth as I received it. "Thank you, Sir Art. I'll treasure them," I said forcing a small smile.

"It's an honor, your highness," Art said a little less afraid.

"Princess, how about we let your father see the flowers?" Smilingly the captain said.

Not only did Art paled once again but I was too.