atla soulmate au

Aang may love Katara, but he doesn't think she's his soulmate. his mark, a sun located at the bottom of his sternum, doesn't represent her well. it's gold and red and sharp and symmetrical in a way that doesn't remind him of her at all. the rays are sharp, but not harsh. it feels like someone hugging him and always makes him smile when he sees it.

Zuko may love Mai, but he doesn't think she's his soulmate. his mark, a cloud located in the center of his back, really doesn't represent her. It is white and orange and soft and wild in a way that doesn't remind him of her. it's very soft, but not weak. it feels like a guiding hand on his back and he always smiles when he sees it.

Katara may love Aang but she doesn't think he's her soulmate. her mark, a ring on stones around her ankles, really doesn't represent him. they are brown and grey and steady and robust in a way that doesn't remind her of him at all. the rocks are cold, but not cruel. they feel grounding and she always smiles when she sees them.

Mai may love Zuko but she doesn't think he is her soulmate. her marks, plum blossoms trailing up her sides and lightening on her shoulders, really don't represent him. the flowers are pink and soft and the lightening is white and cold in a way that doesn't remind her of him at all. the flowers climb her waist but are not constricting. the lightning is sharp but not cutting. the flowers feel like she's being held and the lightning feels like someone gripping her shoulders and she smiles every time she sees them.

Sokka had known his soulmates pretty soon after their first meeting. when Suki had knocked him down on Kyoshi, he had touched the gold fans on his biceps as he flushed with embarrassment. when he first saw Yue, he had touched the underside of his chin where a crescent moon sat, then a deep blue, now scarred over. the fans felt like someone holding his arms and guiding him. the moon had felt like someone tilting his chin up to look into (the moon) their eyes. he smiles fondly when he sees the fans and pretends he doesn't see the moon-shaped scar.

Yue had known Sokka was her soulmate the second they had met eyes. she had grabbed at the back of her neck, where a star sat, almost swallowed by her hairline. he was just so bright, it had to be him. she had known her other two soul mates by the first touch. when she had combined her energy with La's, she had known this was right. where Tui had joined them, she had thought of the two koi fish on the palms of her hands.

Suki hadn't known Sokka was her soulmate until he mentioned it to her. the mark on her back, a dark sword with the hilt at the base of her neck had given her no reason to suspect he was her soul mate until he showed her his sword. he had assumed she had known and was ignoring it. she had called him stupid as she gripped his biceps and shook him. the sword feels like someone pushing her out of harm's way. the other mark, now scarred, once a deep green twisting serpent, sat coiled beneath her belly button. Jihu drowned when they were only 13. his mark felt like laughing until her stomach ached. she smiles each time she sees them.

Ty Lee had known her soulmates since she was little. the moment she first threw her arms around Azula, she immediately thought about the light blue flames that traced around her torso, just under her chest. the moment Mai first touched her leg amidst her laughter, she immediately thought about the red knives on the back of her thighs. the fire felt like someone scratching an itch and the knives felt like stretching first thing in the morning.

Azula did not have soulmates, according to the public. according to her father, she had two colorful flaws that were hard to hide. according to her mother, she had a fun secret that she would one day get to let two more very special people in on. the faint pink lines that traced her chi paths felt like the moment before letting lightning fly from her. the small, orange sun where a huadian would go felt like the dream she had had when she was young, where her mother had held her and kissed her head and told her she loved her. she looks at them every day.

Toph didn't know she had a soulmate until Katara asked. she had asked if she knew if they had met. Toph had asked her how she knew she had one. Toph supposed she did touch the crown of her head often, but she didn't know there was a soul mark there. she had asked Katara to tell her what it was, and she had combed through her hair to try to work out what it was. Katara's best guess was a tropical ocean, deep greens, and blues across her scalp. her mark feels like the tingle after Katara heals you and she smiles every time she runs her hands through her hair.