Both group and individual submissions were permitted. Projects were evaluated on both merit and potential. They were judged by a panel consisting of Geordi, Data, and Commander Riker – who fondly dubbed it 'the Science Fair.'

The final portion of the evaluation process involved a formal presentation. These presentations often involved demonstrations.

It was one of the most challenging and exciting days for Starfleet Security officers.

Anything was possible.

There were new weapons, superfoods, and devices. During the previous testing phase, Data had been required to restrain a number of crew members after a new stimulant had gone awry.

But it wasn't all doom and gloom.

The Security Officers were eager test subjects. The opportunity to try a new protein shake or shoes that made one run faster was a dream come true.

It was like playtime.

"I should get down there," Data said. "I promised to help Geordi with the preparations to the holodeck."

"I'll see you down there," Tasha said.

Data gave her a peck on the cheek before turning to the door. He stopped just shy of the door and turned back to the table.

Data knew just how keen Tasha was to get her hands on the new phaser rifle they were testing.

"Tasha? Be careful today," Data requested.

Tasha sat back in her seat and grinned.

"For you?" she teased. "Always."

-X-

"I'm just here to observe," Tasha said.

She crossed her arms across her chest in order to stop herself from being tempted by Lieutenant MacNaughton's new lightweight phaser redesign.

"Increased stability, faster recharge, and a detachable power pack that allows for use on long-term missions," MacNaughton said.

There was a twinkle in his eye as he held out for Tasha to pick up.

"And the scope is upgraded to include thermal sensing," MacNaughton offered.

Tasha hesitated for a second before reminding herself of the promise she made to Data.

"I'm just here to observe," she smiled. "Jeffords, you want to give it a go?"

Ensign Jeffords's face lit up as he stepped forward to give the phaser a try.

They were on one of the holodecks in a simulated phaser range. Jeffords strolled over to the testing area. He set his sights on the target across the range and pressed the trigger.

Nothing happened.

Jeffords pressed it again.

"Everything alright?" Tasha asked.

"I dunno," Jeffords responded. "I'm pressing the trigger but nothing's-"

Before he could utter another word, Ensign Jeffords was thrown back into the holodeck wall.

"I'm okay!" Jeffords hollered.

Tasha ordered for two of the officers to attend to Jeffords while she removed the power cell from the phaser prototype.

"I guess this means it's not cleared?" MacNaughton asked.

"Sorry," Tasha said as she handed it back to him.

-X-

Over on the next holodeck, Data, Geordi, and Commander Riker were watching patiently as Reg Barclay fumbled through his presentation.