Chapter Five

Chapter five [Our happy ending]
Two days later...

Charlie was waiting for Nick like every night, excited to hold his hand to see his face to joke about something stupid but what Charlie didn't know was that everything was going to change that night. The slight soft knock he always heard when Nick came turned into a loud knock, this made Charlie jump to his feet to answer the door what happened to Nick.
I went to the door and saw Nick his hand was under his jacket holding the right side of his chest and I could see a circular blood stan soaking through his jacket. I opened the door and put his arm around my shoulder stabilizing him to walk over to take a seat. "What happened" I said worried he just looked me in the eyes and said "uhhh" he said before taking off his jacket so I could look at what it was, before I saw it I said, "you can't use the I got ran over by a lawn mower excuses on this one can you?" I helped take off his jacket and saw it, it was a hole from a bullet on the right side of his chest he was bleeding a lot and I started to get stressed, I'm only a vet I've done stitches and basic stuff on animals that's why I was able to help him, but I've never done anything like this. I started crying, I couldn't help it and I couldn't run away to the bathroom this time, I had to face him, he needed me. He met my eyes "I'll be ok" I didn't believe him I've never seen so much blood before. "I need you to be ok" I said still crying he creased my cheek with his thumb. I cleaned off the blood dripping down his body and got a pair of medical tweezers, I went into the hole and clamped onto the bullet it wasn't that far in. Nick was already in pain, and I could tell pulling this out was going to fucking hurt and surface freezing won't do much in this situation. We didn't have any clean fabric so I ripped the sleeve of my shirt off, I put the folded-up fabric in his mouth "Bite down on this" he nodded, and I slowly pulled out the bullet he was screaming in pain and stopped when the bullet was out, But I could tell he was in so much pain still, I took the fabric out of his mouth "I'm sorry its out now" I could barely take seeing him in so much pain. I didn't know what else to do to stop the bleeding besides stitching it up and I did just that. I looked at his stitched-up chest and his corny smile and bursted into tears again, he had no shirt on, and I could see his body just riddled with wounds most of them I recognized, I knew ever single one I stitched up for him and I could tell the ones he just let heal on their own. I've come to the realization that letting go of someone you love is easier than seeing them hurt, I can't do this anymore. "I can't do this Nick" he looked confused and placed his hand on my shoulder "what's wrong char what can't you do" I was sobbing now "this Nick I cant see you hurt anymore because" I stopped myself he would probably think I'm crazy if I finished what I wanted to say. "because what" I looked down, what else did I have to lose "because I love you" he tilted my chin up to meet his gaze "You love me" he said softly I nodded and he confessed "I love you more than anything, you're my person char" I was stunned and confused and wrapped up in a knot of emotions " I want to love you but I just can't, seeing you like this all the time kills me and I can't do it anymore" he kissed my forehead "I'll stop I'm going to get out of this street life, if it means I can be with you, I'll do anything to be with you" I stopped crying "really you'll stop" I said with a smile, he held my face with his hands "yes I promise we can create a life together, I promise to never ever lay a hand on you, to love and support you with every decision you make, I want to laugh in the car with you, I want to go on road trips to all the places you want to visit, I want kiss you every morning and tell you how much I love you, I want you Charlie" he pulled me in for a kiss and I never felt a spark like this with anyone, I knew since the moment I saw him I loved him and ever since then I've been dreaming about kissing him and holding him and it was really happening right now. We pulled away and just stared into each other's eyes "I think you should come stay at my house tonight so I can monitor you" he laughed "is that the only reason you want me to come stay at yours" I kissed him again "yes it is I'm very professional but just to warn you there's only one bed so well have to share" he took my hand and we walked home, I love Nick Nelson.