Sensing instantly whom he was looking at, Nandini spun around quickly.

Prithvi was standing at some distance behind her, arms crossed.

He looked stonily at the scruffy man. The confusion he was feeling was strongly mixed with an old anger that wanted to roughly question the man to find out how he'd known the things he had...and why he had kept silent about it for years.

But he knew without a doubt that, no matter how hard he tried, he would not get the rational and sensible answers he wanted. And any explanation that hinged even remotely on supernatural bullshit would only serve to infuriate him further...

*****************

As her eyes softened, Nandini felt a soft elation that he had followed her, though she was a little alarmed by the look on his visage, and then she also experienced a new twinge of remorse.

She'd been so engrossed in dealing with her own turmoil so far that she'd not thought about how this would be affecting Prithvi too.

He didn't know the things the saint had told her, Nandini reflected with a piercing guilt, and she would probably never be able to share it with him. However, he had his own reasons for feeling unsettled, she recalled with a deep distress. But he too would feel better if he just spoke to the saint once...she was sure of it. But he wouldn't do it...she was sure of that too.

Still, despite knowing what his response would be, she couldn't restrain herself from requesting him to approach the saint, even if it was to just stand in the auspicious presence for a moment.

However, she had barely started to speak when Prithvi looked at her irately, and she saw the answer to her request in the forbidding obstinacy on his features.

Prithvi shifted his hard gaze to the old man again.

It was hard enough for him to stand here and witness Nandini's devotion and reverence that he wouldn't be able to understand in a hundred years. There was no question of him going even one step forward. And that was the best thing for Nandini as well. He would definitely not be respectful if he had to interact with the man or could even hear him speak, and that was bound to hurt her...which was something that had unfortunately become more intolerable to him than anything he had to endure himself...

Nandini looked hastily at the saint, wanting to apologise for Prithvi's behaviour.

But the elderly man only smiled warmly at him and then at her. "My blessings are with both of you always," he told Nandini compassionately.

An uncomfortable colour spread on her face. Had he thought they had come together again? Was that why he was being so kind and affectionate? After all, based on all the experiences she'd had with him in the past, it was clear that he was deeply loving and protective towards Prithvi.

Keeping her voice to a whisper, Nandini fumblingly said, "Baba, we're...not-

"Nothing is in your hands now," he said calmly, a mysterious light in his eyes. "Everything is as it has to be...and everything will be as it needs to be."

Befuddled and disconcerted, Nandini stared at him. She couldn't understand what he'd meant by that, but on the positive side, it appeared that he knew what the situation was. She didn't need to tell him. But what had he meant by those words...

"Alright, I must continue on my way now," the man continued kindly, starting to turn.

Nandini realised with a jolt that she had not offered him anything, and simultaneously became aware that she was holding her bag. She hadn't realised she had carried it while racing from the car.