chapter 39 • and i know he loves me, in any and every reality

Начните с самого начала

"it's fine. your mom takes you to science club on thursday's." louis reassured.

"look, uhm, dad.. there's something we need to tell you." older adam began.

i looked up instantly.

"i.. i already know. i knew the moment i saw you. i'm sorry, boys, i'm, uh.. i'm not gonna be there for you down the road, and i've given it a lot of thought, but you cannot tell me how or when it happens. you came back here because no one has a right to change the future, including us." louis cut them off.

"it's your future." older adam denied.

"no. you're my future. both of you. and how lucky am i that i got to see it? i haven't been there for you. and i'm sorry. but i saw you being born, i watched you take your first breath. and after that happens, nothing is ever the same again. you're my son, adam. and i love you. you're my boy, and i love you."

"okay, you don't have to do all that-"

"i loved you from the first minute that i saw you. and that will never change."

"i- i get that."

"adam, you're my boy."

"dad? we really don't have to do all-"

"you're amazing."

"okay."

"i love you."

"i get it, dad."

"i don't think you do. i am proud of you."

"okay."

"i love you, son. know that inside your heart. know.. come here. you're my boys, and you'll always be my boys. throughout all time."

older adam sank into his fathers arm, sobbing. adams eyes pricked with tears, and i pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead and motioned him to his father.

i watched them hug, feeling my own eyes well up with tears.

"i love you, dad."

"i love you, buddy. don't carry this around anymore."

"i need you, dad." adam cried. "it's so hard without you."

"i know." louis placed a hand on his shoulder. "you're gonna be okay. you're gonna be better than okay."

"you don't know that."

"are you kidding me? have you seen this guy? besides, you got your mom, you got hawking, you got cherry."

adam frowned at the mention of my name.

"but she's gonna-"

"no, she's not. she's always going to be with you. even if you don't know it."

i placed an arm around adam, pulling him into me.

he rested his head against my shoulder, thinking.

"there's gotta be something we can do."

"i can think of something."

louis went off to some corner of the house, returning with a giant box of sports things.

he set the box in the backyard, and we stood over him and watched.

"you're really gonna do this?" older adam questioned, grabbing the baseball mitt.

he chuckled. "all right."

adam placed another mitt on his hand, his dad doing the same.