Your One Part

I woke up that morning like I did any other morning.

Like I did every morning for the past 26 years that I've been alive.

I got out of bed, slipped my feet into my house slippers, went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, fixed my hair, and headed to the kitchen for breakfast. My mom was cooking up sausages and eggs. She served the food on the table.

It was just one plate of food though.

"Um, mom, is that... all?"

She didn't answer. She just went to the table and sat down in front of her plate of food. A side of buttered toast sat by her plate, without a plate of its own underneath. It was just there, raw dogging the table for some reason. I looked to the stove and saw nothing else was being cooked. There were no leftovers. She really only cooked breakfast for just herself. This should have been a sign, but, at the time, I didn't pick up on it as anything other than just silly.

"Sorry, I thought you'd be out by now." My mom finally spoke up from her spot before proceeding to eat her breakfast.

"I guess I'll just have some cereal then." I said, walking up to the pantry to fetch a box.

Then I heard the knock on the door that changed my life.

"That must be her!" My mom announced, launching herself up from her seat and bolting to the front door.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm what?"

"You're being sold to this nice woman!"

"I'M BEING WHAT?!?!?!?!"

It was a constant back and forth between my mom and I, but I really couldn't process the situation. She's selling me? To some strange woman I've never seen before????

It's not like we had any financial problems around here. Sure, it was just me and my mom here. My dad died in a tragic petting zoo incident (he pet a weird man who was dressed like a sheep and was just a little bit too trigger happy with the gun he, for some reason, had stored in his faux sheep wool (which was made with real wolf fur (a real wolf in sheep's clothing?))). But we were pretty well off. Dad's life insurance covered a lot of things, and my mom was a lawyer. We all know she's making mad bank! She was always busy with her legal cases or whatever. And I went to college. I had a job, too. I was a banker! Sure, I still lived with my mom, but she didn't seem to have an issue with that! I was bringing money to this house, too! I wasn't a deadbeat! So why was this happening? And, seriously, WHO SELLS THEIR OWN CHILD?! Again, my mom's a lawyer, so she somehow found a legal way to sell her only daughter like this?????? Or is she just using her law skills to get away with a crime...?