Chapter 35

(Chapter song ‘Perfect’ by Marianas Trench)
2022

“I'm just saying, Zanders being a dick.  Quinn deserves something for capturing the killer.  He almost died for fuck sakes.” 
“I know, Wesley, but if he’s not willing to listen, you can’t persuade a King.” 
“Stop calling me Wesley, Grey.” 
I can’t help but quietly giggle as he throws his arms in the air and points to the face that looks like his.
His perfect form shimmers in my sparkle vision as him and his double run down the steps of the large structure.  Their voices are like dreams under water, but I can still hear them clearly. 
I climb down the wall and join them as they walk down the street.  I walk lightly with my hands behind my back.  I want to touch him, but I can’t.  Not just yet.  For now, I’ll watch him from behind my veil.
“There’s got to be something we can do.”
“Quinn made his bed, man.  You can’t win every case.”
“I know.  He refuses to plead innocent.  Zander wants 80 years, Grey.  That’s not fair.  We can’t do that to Bella.  It’ll kill her.  What do I do?” 
“You’re the lawyer, bro.  Talk him down.  Cut a deal.”
“I tried.  He’s not hearing me.  He’s taking a hit for his mate.”
They stop and face each other.  I always love it when they do that.  It’s like there’s clear sheet of winter ice between them and their reflections are bouncing back and forth.  It’s been so curiously fun to watch them interact. 
“Ok.  Forget Zander.  What about the other Alphas?”
“Darcy and Mateo have my ear.  They both did things they aren’t proud of and can see where Quinn is coming from.  Jakes tipping.  Being an addict, he can relate.”
He's so troubled by his friend.  I wonder if there’s a way I can help.  I don’t like seeing him upset.  It makes me feel bad. 
They wave like ripples a shiny creek in my vision as I walk around them, thinking of how I can help the man who has my interest.  I’ve watched him for so long.  I can’t just sit back and let him suffer alone. 
“So.  You persuade them to see it your way.  Play on their guilt.  They’ll come around.” 
“I hope so.”
They continue to walk.  “Ok.  Stop thinking about that.  Think about tonight.”
“Grey.  I don’t want to go to Starlight.” 
He’s so cute when he scrunches his face like that.  I stand with my hands behind my back.  My big green eyes blink at them as I my head flicks back and forth.  I have tk really look up at them. 
All of a sudden I hear an animal bark.  I turn and a dog is barking in my direction.  I look to them and look at the dog.  I shush him. 
They both watch the dog and furrow their brows.
“I sorry.  I don’t know what’s got into him.  Coco come on.”  The human holding the dogs rope says.
The dog continues to bark at me.  I lean to him and growl in my bubble.  My angry eyes glare into his.
He whines and turns away. 
I look back at the humans I’m following.  They look at each other.  “Weird.”  They both say at the same time and look back at the dog. 
I blow out a quiet breath.  I can’t be exposed.  It would ruin everything.
They continue on their way.
“Wesley.  You’ve been avoiding ladies for years.  You need this.” 
“No.  Grey.  Every time I go on it date it ends horribly.  No.”
“Wes.  Come on.  So you dropped your dates dinner in her lap.  Who cares?  It happens.” 
“That’s the thing, Grey.  I didn’t do it.  It’s was like the plate flew off the table!  That’s not the only thing either.  Weird shit is happening and it’s best I just hide.” 
“Will you relax.  It’s just a bit of bad luck.” 
They stop again.  “It’s not bad luck!” 
“You’re not being stalked.  You’re awkward as fuck.  You’re just trying too hard to have what I have with Mia.”
“What?  No, Grey…”
“Eh, Wes.  Don’t deny it.  You’re sabotaging yourself because you can’t deal with not having a girl as sweet and beautiful as my foxy lady.” 
“Oh my god!  No!” 
He throws his hands up and walks away. 
“Oh my god.  Yes!  You think having a twin means ours girls should be the same.  Don’t deny it.  I know what I’m talking about.  I’m older.”
“BY TWO MINUTES!” 
“I’m still older and wiser, Wesley.”
“Whatever!  I’m done with this conversation.” 
As he storms ahead, I run to in front of him, spin around and walk backwards.  I wrap an arm around myself and rub my chin.  I study him. 
He towers over me.  I’m a toads toe smaller than the one they call Mia.  I’ve seen her and think she’s perfect for the one he calls Grey.  Though I’m confused as to why Grey calls her a fox.  She looks nothing like one.  I know my foxes.
I sigh as I look at his disturbed face.  I’m sorry I hurt his dates.  I just get so…like a badger…I can’t help it.  I also don’t have complete control of powers yet, so things kind of get messed up when I use them. 
I jump in the air and cross my legs.  I lean my elbow on my knee and rest my chin on my hand.  I think as I float in front of him.  Tapping my fingernails on my cheek.
How can I make him feel better? 
“Ok.  I’ll go.  I just need to relax.  No girls.  Just a few beers and some good music.”
I got it.
I’ve seen Grey do this a lot with Mia. 
They stop at the street waiting for the mechanical creatures to stop.
I hold my breath as my cheeks heat.  I lean forward.  My sparkle illusion floats around me as I pucker my lips and touch his soft cheek.  It’s called a kiss and I like it. 
My eyes close as my lips feel tingly on his skin like morning dew on the grass.  My heart beats fast.  I feel myself starting to drop to the ground. 
His hand hits his cheek, making me disappear. 
I reappear behind him with my hand on my lips.  I let out a giggle.
He looks around rubbing his cheek.
“What’s wrong with you?”
“I…I felt…”
“Felt what?”
“I don’t know.  Let’s go.”
They cross the road and I stand on the other side with my hands clasped at my thighs and a big smile on my face.
My favorite thing.  Wes will never be alone as long as I’m here.  He’s my most special find and I will never let him go. 
“What are you doing?”
I yelp and spin around to a tall thin man with messy brown hair. 
“Um…I…You can see me?”
He looks at me with a weird face I don’t understand.  “Uh, Hello, I’m Len.  Of course I can see you.  Now, what are you doing?”
Humans walk by us oblivious to our presence among them.
“Nothing.”  I say like I just got caught picking the field flowers…again.
“You’re tormenting that poor schmuck.”  He waves his finger at me.
“I am not!  He’s my charge.  I protect him.”  I push my chin up.
“No.  You’re torturing him.  My file is thick on you.”  He stands a foot away from me. 
I look down the street as they walk away.
“He’s special somehow.” 
“Your out of your element.  You can’t be here.”
“I know it’s against the rules, but he said Thank you.  I can’t just ignore it.” 
“I get it.  Just.  Show yourself.  Don’t put this poor bastard through this.  You’re gonna blow up his brain or something.” 
“I can’t.  Not yet.  He’s not ready.”  I look at the ground.
“The longer you do this, the more his mind will break.  You know how this works.”
“I guess I could.  But what should I choose?”
I look up and the being known as Len is gone.
I twist my lips and think.  If I had to choose a form, can I choose one that Wes would want to be friends with?  I will definitely need to study him further to find out what he likes in forms.  If I’m to show myself, I need to be in his life. 
Also, if I decide to use my solid form, he’ll find me.  So I’ll need a hideout.  A place where I can feel safe and keep an eye on Wes.
I think I know just the place.

THE END
Thank you for reading the Behind The Alpha Series.  I appreciate all my readers and dedicate this series to you.  My inspiration to further grow my universe.
Behind The Alpha continues with
Book 2: Wes

Wesley Andrews is forever in his twin, Grey’s shadow.  Somethings happening to him and he needs help.  The problem is everyone thinks he’s crazy.  He needs to convince them that he’s not insane one, everyone else is.

Follow me:
Instagram:  Mmctier1
Tictok: mmctier2
Patreon:  www.patreon.com/MMCTIER for five chapter ahead daily updates.  Exclusive first look at covers and summery outlines.

Behind The Alpha Series
Quinn
Wes
Nala
Cass
Deacon
Graham
Oliver
Adam