It was a shoddy plan at best. It was an assumption that whoever was here was being treated the same as Naruto, if they were a person at all-- for all he knew, the tailed beast could be sealed in a cookie jar somewhere. But it was all he had and it was the only way he knew how to keep an eye out without drawing attention to his newfound awareness, so he'd have to roll with it and hope for the best. 

Suna was big, though. Not quite as large as the Leaf, but close enough that there was no way Naruto could possibly explore the place fast enough to find whoever the heck he was looking for. People liked to talk, though. Naruto was the subject of many hushed, disdainful whispers. If he could follow those, no doubt he'd find who he was looking for! He'd find his fellow tailed beast holder in no time, believe it!

"Kashi, Kashi!" Naruto spun on his heel, leaping to wrap his arms around the man and beam up at him in a move he knew would sway him. The man's one visible eye crinkled, hands coming down to grapple at him and pull him up into his arms. Naruto went willingly, throwing an arm around his neck. "Can we explore? I wanna see everything, believe it!" 

Naruto could see uncertainty flash across Kakashi's face, the man sharing a look with Ayumu, who gave a kind smile and a shrug. The masked man seemed to purse his lips behind his facial covering in response. Naruto kept his expression open and bright, his fingers internally crossed. His dad had come here on a specific mission, yeah, but Naruto had a mission of his own now! And he was determined to complete it no matter what.

"...Alright. We can walk around a little, Naruto. Just so long as you stay with me at all times." Kakashi hummed, cradling Naruto like he was still a baby. Naruto's grin grew to blinding levels. Kakashi squinted against the shine. "We should be safe here, but it never hurts to be careful. You're the Hokage's son, after all."

Right, he is the Hokage's son. Which he like, knew. It just felt weird to think of the implications was all. Naruto Uzumaki, son of the Legendary Fourth Leader of The Village Hidden in the Leaves. The infamous Yellow Flash! It still seemed like something out of one of his daydreams.

"I get it, I get it. Stranger danger is very real, don't get kidnapped, don't follow anyone back to their house because they tell me they have puppies. I've totally got the memo, believe it." Naruto gave a mock salute, wriggling in Kakashi's arms excitedly. "Dad's gonna be busy for like, ever! No way can we just sit around doing nothing! Let's go! I'll be careful!" 

Kakashi sighed and gave a reluctant nod, and Naruto's giddiness grew.

~~~~~

It was weird to walk around a village that didn't hate him. They had no preconceived notions about him, no ideas about who he was or wasn't supposed to be. They smiled back at him and waved in the face of his friendly enthusiasm, seeming curious but not malicious in any way. It filled Naruto with an odd, almost bitter sense of freedom. One he wished he could have at home.

He'd get it, though! One day he'd prove himself, prove he and Kurama weren't the monsters everyone had branded them. With Kurama and his dad and Kashi and Ayumu and the doggies as his friends, he was sure he'd get there. And Sasuke maybe. Naruto still wasn't sure if they were actually friends or not. Sort of? It was definitely an I piss on you, you piss on me type of relationship.

Naruto made sure to hold Kakashi's hand at all times. That would prolong the amount of time they were able to be out and about since he'd feel reassured Naruto wasn't going to-- he didn't know. Get snatched up or something. If Naruto could outrun a bunch of jonin after playing his pranks he could probably kick some kidnappers in the nuts and scream at the top of his lungs if need be, though.

Still, knowing he had a tailed beast in him... it was no wonder his dad had been so reluctant to the idea of bringing him out of the Leaf. He wasn't a very well guarded secret in all honesty. Like, sure, nobody was screaming that he had the Nine Tailed Fox in him from the rooves or anything, but it didn't take a genius to figure it out with how all the villagers treated him. Someone could totally come snatch him up in an attempt to get Kurama.