Chapter 32

~Ace

A year earlier...

Sadly, my mom couldn't reopen the case, and I couldn't prove that I didn't rape Sarah's Keyes. I have spent seven months in agony, and now hell is after. I have kept thinking about the day when I will finally be able to get out. To feel the sun against my skin. To be able to breathe fresh air without guards watching me. To be able to run like I used to whenever I felt like I needed to clear my mind. To be free.

But I haven't thought about what will happen when I got out. People's looks. People's silent accusations. People's rumors. I have believed that the day I got out will be the day I gained back my freedom, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like I would feel imprisoned like I was and maybe even worse.

Today is this day. The day I leave. I am finally going to get rid of all the mocking, the beatings, the rubbish food, the four walls that suffocated me. I am going to be relieved for now...

"Honey." My mom cries as she pulls me in for a hug.

A few tears escape my eyes because after what feels like ages, I am finally able to feel the warmth of her embrace.

She kisses the top of my head, "I have been waiting for this day." She cries.

I tighten my grip around her, "Though I have seen you many times, I sure as hell missed you so fucking much."

She pulls away just enough so that she can smack my head.

"Not that you just got out that gives you the right to curse again." She chuckles.

"I'll keep that in mind." I rub the place where she hit me.

I am beyond happy that she hit me right now. Everything may not go back to the way it was, but at least we will be the same.

A car pulls up directly in front of us and the driver's door opens.

"There's my best friend." Eric comes out and shakes my hand then pulls me into a hug. "I've missed you."

"God, it's so good to see you both out of that room." I tell them when we pull away.

"Everything will be better from now onwards." My mother says optimistically.

I'm not so sure about that, still, I don't ruin it.

"It will be." Eric squeezes my shoulder in affirmation. "Come on. Hop in."

We all settle in our seats, and I begin to wonder where the hell are we going. I know that dad technically threw us out of the house. God knows what my mom has gone through with him, and the moving or whatever happened. She must've been devastated from both sides, my dad and me. He was hating her for standing by my side, and I was in juvie.

"Mom—" she cuts me off.

"We're going to your father's house." She answers my unasked question, "But we're only going there to pack up our stuff. I've been staying with my mom and I know what I'm going to say will bum you out, but the money is tight right now. We'll be staying with her till I can afford an apartment for the two us. Okay?"

I know that this is not my fault. But I can't help feeling that part of it might've been my fault. I have been blinded by love. I have kept the son of my father's last enemy close to me. I am the one who cleared the field for him and gave him the winning card. Why? Because I have wanted her to be happy so I have befriended him so that she can be close to her best friend. That is if he is her best friend. For all I know, he could still be her lover. He sought his revenge with her by his side, not mine.

Because I've been accused of being a rapist, my parents are on the verge of losing their life's work. That's if they haven't lost it yet.

"I'm sorry." I bury my face in my hands.

Five Words जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें