Chapter Ten - Pressure

Even on a weekend, the bell rang within the school. The halls were empty, though lit, almost as if someone had left the lights on on purpose. A lot had changed when the dorm system had been implemented. Students who would go home on weekends now spent their days roaming around Musutafu or sleeping in their rooms. Teachers, who now had rooms of their own on campus, graded papers in the dorms instead of their offices. For the first time in decades, U.A. High was truly empty, which made it the perfect place to have meetings you don't want someone to overhear.

All Might paced the floor inside the principal's office. His gaze was fixed into the tile below him. His reflection stared back with a pained glare. One arm was crossed under the other, which was still in the cast from fighting AFO. Principal Nezu sat opposite him at his desk, a grave expression painting his mouse-like features. They both looked, and felt, as if a tornado had blown through the school without their knowledge.

"You're joking," All Might said after a short period of silence, his tone rising slowly. "She's worked so hard. They can't just threaten to let her go that easily". He broke his staring contest with the floor to look back at the principal, of whom was just as bewildered as he was.

"Kawayu hasn't sent them anything about Mr. Henko's disappearance. My guess is that time is running thin" Nezu speculated, picking up a piece of paper he had laid on his desk. "If she doesn't come up with evidence of his whereabouts before October, The Commission might put her back on suspension."

"It's barely been a month," All Might retorted, his hand gesturing towards the calendar in the room. "Why do they expect a full investigation to end so quickly?"

"All Might, you know why." Nezu stated. "They never wanted to break bread with her, they onl-"

"If that's the case, did they ever intend on reinstating her hero license?" Toshinori cut in, his voice exasperated. When the principal remained silent, the hero became aggravated. "Did they?" He repeated, to which Nezu shook his head.

"That's not for me to say.." the principal said, "I'm sure they have the best intentions." His tone was reassuring, but the hero wasn't buying it.

"Something tells me Yuriko wouldn't believe you." All Might said under his breath, his working hand dragging itself from his forehead to his chin. "And what about the students? You told her she was going to be their teacher until they graduate. Was that a lie?" Surprisingly, his question was immediately and vehemently denied by the principal.

"I have been insistent on keeping Kawayu in her position at U.A." Nezu claimed, "Unfortunately, however, I am not in a position to bargain." He folded his paws over the desk, eyebrows knitted together. All Might scoffed, taking a seat on the couch.

"Neither are they. We're too short on heroes for them to be picky.." Toshinori stated, leaning forward to place his elbow on his knee. "Is there anything I can do to clear her name? My old title has to be good for something..." The man glanced off to the side. Nezu shook his head in response.

"If you or anyone went to them, I'm sure they'd hide this information. I'm giving this warning because I want her to succeed." He stated, passing the paper to him from across the desk. Nezu got down from his chair to walk closer to the hero, looking at the door briefly before turning to him. "I am like you. I want to keep her here. But I recognize that Kawayu herself is a threat that we cannot ignore." He said the last part slowly, as if he was trying to keep Toshinori calm. The retired hero raised an eyebrow, almost miffed at his observation.