Chapter 91: A Midnight Surprise Guest

Depuis le début

''Katya, I'm so sorry to bother you.''

Katya was suddenly wide awake, scrambling upright in bed. ''Wait, Jordyn?''

She hadn't seen or thought about the young woman in months. The drama in her own life had made her completely forget about other things, like work and the people in it. Fragile Jordyn was one of those people. But now that Katya had her on this phone call, all the worry crashed down on her at once. Jordyn wasn't someone who called for fun in the middle of the night.

''I'm so sorry, I didn't know who else to call." Her voice trembled and sounded like it was being squeezed in her throat. "I shouldn't have. I don't know...'' It was the tone of a person who was afraid they'd upset someone and regretted the decision to disturb them.

Natasha picked her head up from the pillow groggily, eyes filled with concern. ''Honey?'' But Katya silenced her with a gesture of her hand, focusing on reading Jordyn's voice and the background sounds.

''No, hey, Jordan, it's okay. You can call me any time," Katya rushed to assure her before she could hang up. The woman was in clear distress and needed a calm voice. "What's going on?''

Again, it stayed silent for a moment, as if Jordyn tried to decide whether to tell her or not. Katya knew that difficult step better than anyone; had been in that position more often than she'd like to admit. Suffering alone was so tempting. It took serious courage to tell and trust another. But the fact that Jordyn called said she wanted help.

''My mom... We don't get along very well.''

It was clear that she didn't want to disclose any more over the phone, which Katya respected. But the fact that Jordyn seemed to be outside, cars zooming past her in the background, worried the Russian a lot more. The fight with her mom had caused her to flee home.

''Where are you?''

''I have no idea.'' Jordyn's breathing was quick, too quick. Faster than that of someone casually walking down the street. She was scared out of her mind, and that fear shone through.

Katya only had to glance at Natasha's expectant expression once to make a decision. ''Send me your location. I'll come pick you up.'' She threw the covers off, blindly looking for some clothes to chuck on with the phone pressed to her ear. Natasha was next to her immediately, handing her a sweatshirt and some pants like the personification of calmness.

''No. No, that's really not what I meant, or wanted. Please, don't bother.'' Jordyn protested heavily, nearly starting to panic at this point. But Katya wasn't taking no for an answer, because the people who didn't want help were the ones needing it the most.

''Sweetheart, there's a reason you called me. Purposely or not." She put the phone on speaker and threw it on the bed while she rapidly got dressed, her actions ten times as wild as her soothing voice. "I need you to find somewhere safe to wait, like a diner or gas station. Go inside, don't talk to anyone, but make sure the worker sees you. Stay right there. I'm picking you up, and we'll figure it all out tomorrow, okay?''

''No, Katya, really-''

''Jordan." Katya stopped and brought the phone back to her ear. Her strict voice came out, the one with authority. "I'm coming to pick you up, end of discussion. Let me help you.'' Jordyn had no choice but to agree. And she did so, timidly.

''Okay. Thank you.''

Katya's shoulders relaxed, trusting the woman on her word. Jordyn was the responsible, 'grew up too early' type who would follow directions perfectly. ''Send me your location as soon as you have found a spot. I'll drive as fast as I can. Stay on the line.'' Katya brought the phone down to her chest after muting herself, impatiently looking at Natasha. "Can you-"