The Pirate's Revenge

Written by Angel E. Wright

"Seriously, Zay, where are we going?"

I've been sitting in his car blindfolded for what has to be an hour now. My sense of direction is shit on a good day, so right now we could be somewhere out of town or he could've been driving in circles and we're only three blocks from home.

"Jade, would I have blindfolded you if I wanted you to know?" He laughs at my exaggerated sigh before taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. "Just relax and trust me."

It's ironic that he says this, knowing this trip is partially inspired by the fact that I'm actively working on trusting him again. We've always had a great relationship—the kind people are jealous of—but a few months ago, Isaiah started getting friendly and flirty with his hot new co-worker, going so far as to kiss her at a staff work party while heavily intoxicated. He immediately regretted it, coming clean the second he returned home, and assured me it would never happen again. After cutting off all communication with her, he requested a transfer to a different branch in an attempt to win me back and regain my trust.

It hasn't been easy; we've had many hard and painful discussions, shining a spotlight on our not-so-picture-perfect relationship and exposing the cracks in what I thought was our rock-solid foundation. Months of couple's therapy, weeks of separation, and days of flip flopping about the status of our relationship have all led to this moment—the celebration of our 5th anniversary.

Isaiah insisted on planning it, saying he wanted to "do something very special" as a sign of his love for me and his sheer gratitude that I was willing to give him—give us—another chance. He's been so tight-lipped about it, going so far as to swear his sister, my best friend, to secrecy. Everything within me thinks he's finally going to propose, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

"Okay, we're finally here," he says, as the car rolls to a stop.

"Can I take my blindfold off now?"

"No, not yet. Don't worry, I'll guide you and keep you safe."

"Keep me safe?! Isaiah, where the hell are we?"

He opens his door, chuckling softly. "You'll see in literally two minutes."

The smell of pine, earth, and moss wafts through the car. Well, we're definitely not in the city anymore. It's incredible how much my other senses have heightened in the short space of time I've been blindfolded. I can hear as Isaiah walks around the car, the crunching of the autumn leaves under his Chelsea boots getting louder with each step. My door opens and he takes my hand, guiding my blinded self out of the car with compassionate precision.

Wrapping his arms around my waist, he leans his chin on my shoulder and kisses the crook of my neck. "Damn, baby, the things I want to do to you right now with you blindfolded and at my mercy."

"Did you just drive me out to the woods to have sex in nature? We could've done that in our backyard, you know."

"Where's the fun in that?" he murmurs, kissing my neck again. "But to answer your question, no, I didn't... unless you want to."

"I want to know where we are before the mosquitos suck all the blood out of my veins."

Isaiah laughs as he releases his hold on me and takes my hands to walk us toward our destination. "Fine, fine, let's get this trip started."

Thankfully, we only walk for a few seconds before he stops and removes my blindfold. "Here we are! Our home away from home for the next few days."

"An abandoned ship in the middle of nowhere?"