18. Dance on the Moon

It had been over a week since Amelia and Tim had their battle, and Ryan was dying with curiosity about what had Amelia so upset. She hadn't told him she was seeing a therapist, and it would be too confusing now to explain that she'd been basically lying to him about it. Truthfully, she just didn't feel comfortable telling many people that she was seeing Tim; not even Owen knew. She knew he was seeing Tim, though, and now she worried if Tim would tell Owen something during their next session. She hoped not, because she felt embarrassed about even getting that upset. Tim had simply been looking out for her best interest, and she rudely denied his help because she didn't like what he had to say. She felt so immature and silly for snapping at him like that, when he was just trying to help her. And, oddly, for the first time in a while, Amelia felt like drinking, which made her feel even more remorseful about speaking to him like that.

"Are you really not going to tell me what's been bothering you?" Ryan asked as he and Amelia sorted through Christmas decorations they'd bought earlier in the day. That was the one thing she'd forgotten she had to do since moving out; buy decorations for her apartment. Ryan still had his apartment across town, but he rarely ever slept there anymore considering he and Amelia appeared to be mostly together now, so he didn't bother buying many decorations for his abode. He knew he was being naïve by not confirming with her whether they were together or not, but everything had been going so smoothly and he didn't want to aggravate it by confirming a title that barely even mattered in comparison to his happiness.

The Christmas tree they bought was a bit too tall for Amelia's living room, and Ryan was currently on a ladder, trying to cut the tip of the tree off so they could fit the star on top. "Was it the dream again?"

"It's just a stupid case I was working on with Owen," Amelia half lied, dismissing him and knowing he wouldn't ask, or even understand, about the case. They hadn't been communicating well since the start of their situationship, so she knew he wouldn't try to start a conflict over that explanation. Truthfully, there was a case she had been working on with Owen, regarding an old woman with an aneurysm, but she didn't want to think about that case because the patient was convinced that she and Owen were in love, which wasn't too far off. She was still in love with him, but she had clearly read Owen wrong to assume he still had those feelings for her. Nosy patients.

She watched as the twins ran around them with the tinsels they bought, while Ryan and Rosie were propped up on the couch, pulling decorations fresh out of the box. Everything was almost perfect, and Amelia didn't want to ruin it because of a silly fight she had with a therapist that no one even knew she was seeing. She could just pretend, at least until next year, that nothing was inherently wrong. After all, the year would be done in 8 days anyways, and once everyone was done celebrating Christmas, and having a good time, then she would solve her problems. She could solve them later. Or so she thought.

"And you're sure this has nothing to do with what happened for thanksgiving?" Ryan sought to clarify.

Half heartedly, Amelia laughed. "It has nothing to do with that, Ryan." She stood up and walked towards the ladder, holding it for him as it became a bit unsteady. "Plus, Kelly and I had a very normal conversation with each other today, when I picked up the kids."

"Wow, no yelling?" Ryan teased, making Amelia roll her eyes, "No one's eyes were carved out?"

"No yelling," she confirmed, giggling, "Her and Owen are actually making eggnog today."

"Owen knows how to make eggnog?" Ryan asked, finally cutting the top off completely.

"Kelly does," Amelia shrugged, handing him the star, "I think. They're making one with alcohol, and one without."

"Well, that's nice," Ryan offered as he came down from the ladder, "Hopefully she doesn't mix them up and give us the one with poison in it." She rolled her eyes and smiled.