chapter 5 Discovering A New Path

Start from the beginning

The whole hall burst into applause as the hat finished its song. It bowed to each of the four tables and then became quite still again.

"So we've just got to try on the hat!" Ron whispered to Harry.

"I'll kill Fred, he was going on about wrestling a troll."

I guess Fred will never change. Professor McGonagall now stepped forward holding a long roll of parchment.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said.

"Abbott, Hannah!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat.

"Bones, Susan!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat again.

"Boot, Terry!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

"Brocklehurst, Mandy"

"RAVENCLAW!"

"Brown, Lavender"

"GRYFFINDOR!"

"Bulstrode, Millicent"

"SLYTHERIN!"

"Finch-Fletchley, Justin!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Finnigan, Seamus,"

"GRYFFINDOR!"

As the children were sorted into their houses my heart started to race. Will I be a Gryffindor?

"Frost Lihanna!"

My train of thoughts broke and my hands started to sweat. I took a deep breath to calm myself and sat on the stool as the hat was put on my forehead. At the Gryffindor table my sister, Daniela was looking at me with a bright smile and so were the twins. I was suddenly the centre of attention. A sudden desire of sitting at the Gryffindor table grew up.

"Frost's child is it? Very knowledgeable I see, not bad at all....ah! A brave heart too....too thirsty to prove yourself, have a clever mind but ambitiousness dominates you...nice. Better be...SLYTHERIN!"

The hall went silent for a moment and then a sudden cheer erupted from the Slytherin table. My sister's smile vanished the moment my house was decided and the twins looked at me as if I had committed the biggest crime in the world. I don't blame them after all I was chosen in the house of death eaters, the house of Voldemort---- Slytherin. I failed in the very first step towards my success. I could see the disappointment in the faces around me. As I was moving towards the Slytherin table I saw Malfoy smirking and I wish I could cast a spell to wipe out that smirk into terror. I seated myself at the far end of the table away from the other Slytherin students.

"Granger, Hermione!"

Hermione almost ran to the stool and jammed the hat eagerly on her head.

"GRYFFINDOR!" shouted the hat.

It seemed as if I could see Hermione moving far ahead of me. Even after being a muggle-born, she is far better than most of the pure-bloods and half-bloods.

"Neville Longbottom!"

As soon as his name was called, he fell over on his way to the stool. The hat took a long time to decide with Neville. When it finally shouted, "GRYFFINDOR,"
Neville ran off still wearing it, and had to jog back amid gales of laughter to give it to "MacDougal, Morag."
The next name called was,

"Malfoy Draco!"

Malfoy swaggered forward and got his wish at once: the hat had barely touched his head when it screamed,