We arrived in front of my room, and I pulled out the key.

“Please don’t judge me.” I said to Emma. “Jax is the pig. I am the clean one.”

Emma chuckled, and I opened the door.

We stepped inside, and I turned the light on. Emma looked around the room before sitting down at my desk.

I took the phone out of my pocket, and walked to where Emma was sitting.

“Get up.” I said, taking her hand in mine and pulling her up.

“Why?” she asked, confused.

I ignored her question, sat down and pulled her onto my lap. I needed to hold on to her because I knew that Jax wouldn’t be pleased if I destroyed our bedroom. And I kind of knew that I would do just that after talking to my dad. Having Emma close meant that I would have her to lean on instead of my fists.

She wrapped her arm around my shoulders and kissed my cheek.

“Are you ready?” I asked her quietly.

“No.” she shook her head.

I sighed and unlocked my phone. I searched for my dad’s number and called him. I put the phone on speaker and waited.

“Mase!” I heard my dad’s excited voice after a few rings. “It’s so good to hear from you, buddy. What is going on? Is everything okay?”

Emma tensed up in my arms. It was probably the first time she heard dad’s voice ever since she and mom left.

I clenched my fists and tightened my jaw.

“We have to talk, dad.” I said coldly.

“Is everything okay?” my dad asked worriedly. “I’ve heard about the disappearances, but I thought it was only girls.”

I sighed and rolled my eyes. My dad was the kind of person that didn’t worry unless it was absolutely necessary. Of course he didn’t worry about the disappearances. He would only care if it was boys who were disappearing. I wondered if he'd be concerned once he found out Emma was here.

“It’s not about the disappearances, dad.” I said. “It’s about Emma.”

My dad went silent. I glanced at Emma. She was staring at the phone with sadness on her face. I hugged her tighter.

“Emma?” my dad repeated after a few moments of silence.

“Yes.” I said. “My twin sister.”

I heard dad taking a deep breath. “What about her?”

“She is here.” I said. “She joined the school this year.”

Dad gasped, but stayed silent.

“I know that you lied.” I said, clenching my fists. “I know that she tried to call me. I know about the letters.”

I heard dad’s deep breaths through the phone.

“I just want to know why?” I continued angrily. “Why would you hurt us like that, dad? Why would you do something like that to your own children?”

“I don’t know what you are talking about, Mason.” dad said, his voice raspy. “What calls? What letters? She didn’t want to see you or talk to you. Why would she call or send letters?”

Emma sobbed quietly and buried her head in my neck. The anger made me see red. I placed my hand on her head, holding her close to me.

“I saw the letters, dad.” I said, gritting my teeth. “I saw they were rejected by the recipient. I had never seen any of them before Emma showed them to me when she came here. So it was you who rejected them.”

Dad was silent. I could hear him breathing, but he never said anything.

“Why?” I asked angrily.

“It was what your mother and I agreed on.” dad sighed.

Emma raised her head and looked at the phone. I furrowed my eyebrows.

“Explain.” I said coldly.

“Your mother and I never wanted to see each other again.” dad started talking. “We knew that we would have to if the two of you continued to talk and wanted to visit each other. So we decided to tell you she didn’t want to see you anymore. We blocked her number from your phone so her calls and texts wouldn’t come through. It was the best decision for everyone.”

I was shocked.

I was completely speechless.

The best decision for everyone?

Emma was quietly sobbing on my shoulder. It broke my heart to hear her cry.

“I don’t want to talk to you ever again.” I said quietly, my voice raspy. “Don’t call me, don’t text me. We are done.”

“Mason...” my dad started speaking, but I ended the call.

I wrapped my arms around Emma and pressed her closer to me.

I couldn’t believe what they had done. She was hurt because of it. I was hurt because of it. They would pay for what they’ve done to her, for what they’ve done to us.