"Don't worry. I understand, sweet girl."
"Really?" Sophie replies tearily.
"Yes of course. But I must take the ring back I'm afraid. Out of caution, of course."
Sophie glances down at the darkly beautiful ring sitting on her finger.
"Oh, but it's so beautiful..."
"I am sorry. I must have it."

Sophie pauses. Must he?
She looks at Mr. Bonetti and assesses him quickly. She remembers what Nikki had said.
Live a little.
She refuses to be anything like him or his band, but when she wants something, she'll stop at nothing to get it. And besides, Mr. Bonetti could never catch her on his pudgy legs.

Sophie's act drops, a spiteful look replacing her tearful one.
"Come and get it then."
Then she breaks into a run, leaving a shocked Mr. Bonetti behind. She thanks her stars that she didn't wear her heels as she tears through the crowds, slipping past busybodies.
She laughs as she flies over concrete, ring sparkling atop her finger.

For once, she doesn't care about the shocked faces following her as she sprints past.Adrenaline kicks through her system and she urges herself faster, enjoying the burning in her legs. She should have been on the track team in high school, but was too busy aiding her father with business plans.
She runs another three blocks, knowing that Mr. Bonetti is far, far back, left in her dust.
Finally she begins to slow in pace, but as a laugh bubbles out of her throat, she's bowled over from behind.

Sophie hits the ground gasping.
With torn jeans and the wind stolen from her lungs, she forces herself up, palms pressed against the concrete shakily.
"Jesus, you're fast."
Sophie forces herself up, preparing to run away.
But she catches a glimpse of her capturer and stops still.

"Nikki?"
"Sophie?"

They both stare at each other.
"What the fuck?"
"Why were you chasing me?" Sophie pants, pushing him in the chest.
"And why'd you tackle me?"

Nikki regains himself, breathing hard.
"Uh, some guy told me to chase you," he pants, "He said he'd give me $500 if I returned some sort of ring back to him."
Sophie hides her hand behind her back.

"I didn't think it'd be you. What the hell did you do?"
Sophie brushes herself, no longer carefree of the looks coming their way.
"It's none of your business."

Nikki rolls his eyes.
"Shit, Sophie, just tell me."
Sophie slips the ring off her finger and holds it up to him.
"He gave it to me. Then he wanted it back, but I like it better."

Nikki laughs.
"You're joking."
"Well... You were the one who said 'live a little'."
"I didn't mean stealing from old guys!"
Sophie shrugs.
"Whatever. I'm not giving you the ring." She returns it to her finger.
"Fine. I'll give you a head start if you're gonna keep running. I could use $500."

Sophie glares him.
"No. Don't follow me."
"It was a joke, christ," his look of delight tells her he'd intentionally been trying to provoke her. "You're quick on your feet though."
"That's great. I'm leaving now."
Sophie brushes past.
"Oh come on, even after last night you still don't wanna talk?"
Sophie spins around, angry.
"I told you not to bring that up again."
Nikki shrugs, grinning at her annoyance.
"You know you liked it."
"I don't want to talk to you."
He sighs. "You're so fucking weird."
"Yeah? Maybe I'd be offended if I gave a shit."