After the breakup

A/N-

         Finally started re-writing these chapters so tell me what you guys think?

My Au: This is an au where the upside down and all that never happened. But Steve still has his bat and stuff because his father was (and honestly still is) physically and mentally abusive towards him and Steves mother and there were very few people who knew about this.

Also Steve was one of the only people that Billy befriend and actually enjoyed his company even though they were not that close they were pretty good friends.

Timeline - After The breakup between Nancy and Steve

3rd person Pov on a Saturday Night

It was around eight o' clock and Steve was laying on the couch staring at the screen skipping through the channels trying to find something to watch. Eventually he just turned the tv off and went up to his room.

 After laying there for some time he remembered that some kid at his school was throwing a party tonight and he thought he might as well go. He went up and changed into a black button up shirt, and some slightly flared tight jeans. Once he was done he waited till about 8:20 not wanting to be the first one to show up incase the party just started.

He pulled up to the house, he could already hear the music a few streets down on his way there.

Steve walked into the house as it was already filled with a lot of people. His eyes scanned around the room looking for someone he could talk to. His eyes stopped when he saw Nancy sitting talking to Jonathan. She looked happy, she was laughing. She never looked like that with him. After a minute he gave a slight smile.

"I should be happy for her, she is obviously happier with Jonathan" Steve said in his head walking off to get a drink.

After quite a few shots of Punch and Malibu (alcohol) Steve was a little tipsy. He was planning on going out by his car for a little fresh air then he stopped in his tracks as someone walked in the door. Billy Hargrove.

Billy walked into the house with that infamous smirk of his on his face with a cigarette in his mouth. He was wearing his classic button up shirt that was still left unbuttoned on the top, showing off his chest, and some tight blue jeans. He then looked around the room, his eyes landing on Steve who left his gaze lingering a little too long.

Billy walked into the party that he heard was supposed to be 'great'. He scanned the room looking for a new hookup for the night and some drinks, that's when he saw Steve. Steve looked away once the realized Billy noticed him staring . His smirk grew wider if that was even possible

"Hey Harrington" I said as I was walking over to him

"Hargrove" Steve replied back too quickly just trying to end the conversation and trying to walk away.

"Y'know it's rude to walk away when someones talking to you" he said obviously amused in a somewhat sarcastic tone

Steve looked over at Billy with a light shade of pink dusted over his cheeks.

After a short moment of silence Steve sighed "Well I was just about to go outside for some fresh air, wanna join me?"

"Sure, why not" Billy replied hopping off the chair Steve didn't realize he even sat down on in the first place."

Steve and Billy were sitting in silence looking at the sky until Billy decided to break the silence and said-

"So where is your little girlfriend Harrington? "You are usually hanging around her when I see you"

After a minute when Steve didn't answer he looked over and noticed that Steve looked as if he were about to cry. He was shocked for a second

"You okay Harrington..?" he said not knowing how to approach the situation (And thats on not having a comforting household 🤪💅🏽)

After a minute of  Steve finally decided to answer. Just barley above a whisper said. "Me and Nancy broke up yesterday."

"Damn, I'm sorry"  A slight smile appearing on his face before he finally looked back with a straight face

"Its fine you didn't know but uhm- I think I'm just gonna go home now" He said wiping his eyes before the tears he was holding in could finally fall

"Yea I understand, do you want me to drive you home?" he asked as Steve was still clearly quite tipsy.

"Yeah sure" he said finally standing up

Both the boys got into Billys car and drove off. Billy already knew where Steves house was because he has had to pick up Max from there a few times after she had went over there with the party.

After a few minutes of speeding through the empty streets of Hawkins they reached Steves house.

"Do you wanna come in or something?" Steve said as he started getting out of Billys car.

Billy hesitated before he answered knowing his father would kill him if he ever found out about this. "Yeah, sure." 

The two boys walked into the house and slipped off their shoes by the door and went over to the living room and turned on the tv. They sat in silence not knowing what to talk about. Billy finally spoke up hesitating before he spoke

"So... what did happen between you and Nancy? You guys seemed like the perfect" Billy said sounding genuinely curious.

Steves paused as the previous days replayed in his head like it was happening all over again.

Steve told him everything. He told him about the argument, he told him about spilling the drink, and the bullshit, and what happened during basketball practice.

By the time Steve was done talking he was on the verge of tears.

Billy honestly felt bad about the whole situation even if he never really like Nancy so he offered Steve a hug to which he quickly accepted and he finally let the tears stream down his face as he chocked out a sob. After a few minutes of hugging the crying had stopped and Billy realized Steve had fallen asleep in his arms. Billy smiled at the sleeping boy in his arms. He looked so at  peace when he was asleep. Not wanting to wake Steve he slowly laid back and draped a blanket that was on the couch over them, he went back to hugging Steve as he eventually drifted off to sleep.