"I haven't been down Dodo Lane in ages," Mahogany said as they passed a home painted in stripes of varying shades of pink. The windows on the house looked like two large yellow eyes, and twin peaks gave the effect of pointed cat ears.

"It was always the best place to trick-or-treat," Evelina said. "Oh, I think this is it."

They stopped in front of a cottage that appeared to be a miniature replica of the clock tower. A giant sundial in the yard cast a shadow over the Roman numeral ten. Just beneath the glimmering clock face stood a wooden door that flung itself open at that moment, and a cuckoo on a scissoring extension arm popped forth and tweeted the time.

"Epic," Evelina said, her head tilted back to take in the cuckoo's full glory.

"Whatever you say." Mahogany started toward the porch, swallowing her apprehension at bothering Saree in her grief. However, she couldn't bring herself to knock on the woman's door.

"What are you waiting for?" Evelina said, standing on the stoop next to Mahogany.

"For a reasonable amount of time to pass between her husband's murder and us showing up to pry."

"Ovary up, Mahogany. This murder isn't going to solve itself." Evelina rapt on the door, and they waited, holding their breath.

From inside the cottage, a din of bells, chimes, whistles, and squawks penetrated the heavy wooden door.

"Are those–" Evelina began.

"Clocks?" Mahogany finished.

"How many do you think are in there?" Evelina wondered.

An instant later, the door flew open, and before them stood Saree Fenquoth. She stared at them, her eyes roving their faces. Saree's jet black hair was quaffed into a neat bouffant, reminiscent of the 1960s. Her blood-red top was accented with black lace. "Yes?" she asked, raising a pencil-thin eyebrow on a powder-white face. Her deep red lips pulled down in a frown.

"We're so sorry to bother you, Ms. Fenquoth," Evelina said. "We wanted to offer our condolences. Matt was much loved in the community." She held out the basket of baked goods.

"Oh, why, how thoughtful," Saree said, taking the basket as if it might bite her. "Won't you come in?" She stood back, allowing Evelin and Mahogany to enter.

The house was awash with natural light pouring in through several massive windows, illuminating an enormous clock collection covering almost every inch of wall space.

A series of deep boxes in the center of the room held packing materials. In one, the top of a shingled roof peaked out. No doubt another cuckoo clock.

"Are you getting rid of Matt's clock collection?" Evelina asked as she eyed the boxes.

"Selling them. He didn't think of having life insurance, and I need to pay for his burial somehow." Saree pulled a handkerchief from her pocket and dabbed her eyes. "To tell you the truth, I never like them. Can you imagine dusting them every week? It took ages. And the noise. The top of the hour is unbearable."

Mahogany thought back to the cacophony of bells and whistles she'd heard only moments before. "I can imagine."

"Shall I put on some tea?" Saree said, placing the basket of goodies on the coffee table. "It's no trouble."

"That would be lovely," Evelina said, giving Saree a sweet smile.

Saree returned the smile and headed into the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" Mahogany mouthed.

"Searching for clues," Evelina mouthed back and tiptoed down the hallway.