CHAPTER 57: NEW YORK

Start from the beginning

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nick asks, going to follow him.

"I mean that this weather isn't even cold." George is walking down the front steps.

"I was more worried about you getting a cold, George." Nick waits for me to walk out the door before locking it. "I could walk out here naked and be perfectly fine."

"No you could not," George calls out from next to the car.

"Yes I could."

I turn around to look at the green door, and I realize that I won't be coming home to it tonight. Tonight I will be in a new place, and I'm going to have to make new front door memories there.

"Would you unlock the car, stupid idiot?" George yells at Nick.

"Why? Are you cold, George?" Nick taunts.

"Just open it," George says, frustrated.

Leaving is so much harder than I thought it would. I walk to the car in a trance, not turning to see what I'm leaving behind.

I sit in the back seat of the car, being the last one to get there. Nick and George are arguing over what songs to put on.

"It is too early for your Texan to come out," George swats Nick's hand away.

"It's always to early for you, but I never complain." Nick changes the music anyways.

"Let me pick," George sounds like a little kid now.

"Wait, wait." Nick's voice is filled with excitement. "Dua Lipa?"

"Yes!" George sighs. "I knew you could pick good music."

My brows furrow. "No you didn't."

"What do you mean?" George turns his body to look at me in the back. "Yes I did."

Nick starts a song and begins to back out of the drive way. George turns back around when he recognizes the song.

It's early in the morning for them to be yelling at each other, then yelling song lyrics, but I feel happy anyways. This is what I want to remember when I'm in New York.

Nick lowers the volume after a few songs. His eyes meet mine in the rearview mirror. "You're coming home for Christmas, right?"

I don't miss a beat. "Of course I am."

He smiles. "Good."

The long drive feels two short with these two. We don't even talk that much, and I'm begging the GPS to take a little longer. I just want more time.

Nick pulls into a spot to drop people off. He takes a deep breath when the cars put into park. Nobody speaks for a moment.

Nick's the one to break the quiet. "Alright, y/n, the city waits for no one."

The boys get my two suitcases out of the trunk and onto the sidewalk. I stand on the sidewalk with the suitcases now; the boys stand next to the car.

Nick is the one who crosses the space between us and envelopes me into a hug.

"I'm going to miss you," he says into my hair.

I tighten our embrace. "I'm going to miss you so much, Nick."

"You're always welcome back home." His voice is still a whisper.

"Thank you."

He kisses my right temple before pulling away; tears line his eyes.

George takes an awkward step forward, unsure what to do. I hold out two arms, and he walks straight into them.

George and I haven't been very close, so the mere fact that he's hugging me means more than I'll ever let him know.