CHAPTER 36: MIMOSAS

I've never cried in front of any of the guys before, but I cry now. Nick's arms are still wrapped tight around me, comforting me as my worst nightmare comes alive.

I've always loved how out-going and spontaneous Gemma was, but I never thought it would lead her to elope, to leave me with no way to afford rent. Especially since it's due in three days.

I sniffle once, wanting to wipe my tears on Nick's shirt. That's when I come to my senses and realize Nick isn't wearing a shirt. He's wearing his boxers and nothing else.

"Oh my god," I say as I push him away, "You're naked."

George starts laughing while Nick looks down at his bare chest and blue underwear. He gives me a look before whispering a "be right back".

I stand in the kitchen, staring into space. I can't even imagine the math of how many coding jobs I would have to take in order to afford the rent. Maybe I should get a second job to afford it.

George stays seated at the counter, knowing his limits in our friendship. We're not close enough for him to hug me. We're not even close enough that I would want him to see me cry, but here we are.

Nick is back in a few minutes. He tugs his shirt down and stands in front of me. "What happened?"

I explain the situation to them, and they stay quiet until I'm done. George swallows once and focuses on his folded hands in front of him. Nick shakes his head before patting his pockets for something.

"How much rent does she cover?" He glances at the kitchen counters now. "I'll cover it in three days, and then we'll figure it out."

"No." I put my hand on his arm to stop him from searching for his wallet. "I don't want your money, Nick."

"What are you going to do?" he asks, "I don't think you have the time for a second job."

I sigh. "It'll be-" I pause when I hear something behind me. I turn around to see Clay standing in the halls.

"Oh my god, get out of here!" George screeches as he reaches for his mask. "You're sick."

My reaction is different from George's. I run to Clay. My head naturally buries itself into his chest as I hold back even more tears.

"Hey," he says softly, "what happened."

"Gemma bailed, and I can't afford rent," I explain, "I don't know what I'm supposed to do."

He doesn't say anything, just squeezes me tighter.

Nick huffs. "y/n, please, let us help you with the rent."

I detangle myself from Clay. "It's not just that, Nick. She was my roommate. My friend." I sigh. "Now she's going to be living her life away from me with a girl who cheated on her."

Clay wraps his arms around me from behind. I watch Nick's eyes glance at the gesture; they glimmer with a question for a moment but ultimately decide now is not the time.

"You could move in here," a muffled voice behind Nick says. We all turn to see George with two masks on now with a hand over them both. He removes his hand to talk, "We have the room."

"I-" I stop to think. "I couldn't do that."

"Yes, you could." Clay turns me around to face him. "Like George said, we have the room. You can take the room on the same hallway as me. It'll be basically the same except you don't have to travel twenty minutes to get here."

"Plus," Nick chimes in, "We can have sleepovers in each other's rooms."

"We're not doing that," George interjects.

Nick pouts, then smiles as he turns back to me. "What do you say? Roomies?"

I roll my eyes. "I mean, I guess if there's room."

Nick does a little cheer. "I wonder if we have the stuff for mimosas."

"Did you just say mimosas?" Clay asks, releasing his hold on me.

"Yeah, they'll go with our pancake breakfast."

"That's something a rich housewife would do," Clay says.

"It's two in the morning, Nick," George says, "Nobody needs alcohol."

Nick's brows furrow. "Of course we do."

Clay's phone gets a facetime call. We all glance at him in unison, wondering who in the world would be calling him this late. He just quietly excuses himself as he goes back to his room.

"Probably Bad or something," Nick shrugs it off. "Are you excited to move in, y/n?"

"Um." I glance up at George, knowing this was his idea. He meets my eyes and nods once. That single nod seemed to be enough for my nerves to calm down and accept that this is a good idea. "Yeah, I think I will once it all starts to feel real."

"Well let's fast track it because you've got what? Three days?" Nick asks over his shoulder as he scans the fridge for food.

I blow out a gust of air that I didn't realize I was holding. "Yupp, I guess so."

Nick closes the fridge door and walks over to me. He wraps his arms around me, and I feel myself collapse into his safety. "It's going to work out, y/n. We got you."

And those words with George's nod seemed to be all I needed. Everything's going to be okay.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

wow! what a surprise twist that i'm sure NOBODY in wattpad history-magic saw coming... sorry for the sarcasm lmao it was an easy plot point to make.. anyways hope you're enjoying!

have an amazing day <3