Il Ballo del Doge

Beginne am Anfang

The snap of Gianna's fingers got her out of her trance and she looked away from Austin, shaking away her feelings again. Just get through the night for Gianna. Ally adjusted her dress, lifting up the layers of satin and chiffon as she slipped her hand around Austin's forearm; and as soon as she did that, the butterflies in her stomach started to fly around in circles. He had pulled his other hand from his side and placed it over hers, giving it a squeeze. It wasn't something that anyone would pick up on or even consider intimate, but it was. His thumb skimmed across her fingers and she was sure if he was unmasked, he could kiss them...or maybe that was in her mind. He couldn't see her lips curve into a half smile or the blush creep through her white makeup.

Ally followed his steps and just like they were supposed to, looked down over their 'subjects' before descending the stairs to the grand ballroom. Decorated in deep reds and rich golds, Ally suddenly realized why Gianna went with the white theme for their group costume. Her eyes darted from the dance floor to the band in the corner before drifting towards a long buffet table filled with treats of every kind. Streamers and balloons hung in the air with multicolored pinwheels reflecting off chandeliers spread throughout the ballroom. It was, in a word, magical.

She walked along Austin's side, around the room and towards a long table instead of round. She smirked under her mask - Gianna was taking the theme and their costumes way too seriously. On top of the golden chargers were porcelain white plates and so many pieces of silverware and glasses, with tiny name cards telling them all where to sit. Hers and Austin's had tiny crowns on them, of course. A menu sat between every other place setting, telling them just what they would be eating and how much. Ally was glad she really hadn't eaten anything all day...of course Gianna nor Silvana were giving anyone any chance to eat anything either. She had been up at eight, checking her emails as soon as she woke for any work about her doctorate status before being pulled out of her bed and pushed into the shower.

Seraphina had done her hair as soon as she stepped out of it and it was possibly her favorite thing about her whole costume. Twisted up into a low bun were braids upon braids with a sole fishtail one circling one side of her face behind her mask.

"Va bene a tutti, e possibile togliersi le maschere ora," Gianna said, passing by Ally and Austin with her date, Vincenzo, to sit on his side.

Behind her volto mask as a Colombina one, and behind his as well. While her face was painted up, and her lips still the ruby red, his was not. Ally looked closer at him and only his eyes were lined with the black paint like the others. Now, it all clicked for her. He would be drawn to her lips and her, to his eyes. His eyes that were so rich she could and would dream and stare at them all day, or night long. They were gentle and supportive at the same time they were seductive and enticing. Damn it, Gianna, Ally silently cursed her friend. She looked away, bringing her eyes to the menu again, just as he pulled the chair out for her.

"Thank you," she said to him, almost silently.

He took a seat in the chair next to her almost immediately. "Of course, my Queen."

Don't smile, don't smile...crap. She was smiling. What the hell was it about him that no matter how confused he made her, he was still the most likeable guy she'd ever friended? She wanted to be mad at him - but she couldn't.