Chapter 1

The little pink bedroom was illuminated by bright sunlight that streamed in through the windows. While not extravagant, it was the perfect space for the young girl who considered it her own. The room held a desk, a dresser, and a small bookshelf filled with her beloved stories. At the far end, there was a simple bed adorned with light pink blankets and a white frame. A nightstand stood beside it, displaying a lone picture.

The photograph captured a moment between a mother and her daughter. The girl, with her short pink hair perfectly curled, exuded joy. She wore a delicate yellow sundress adorned with a floral pattern, and her brown eyes sparkled along with her wide smile. Seated beside her was a beautiful woman with long blonde hair cascading down to her waist. If one knew her true identity, they would recognize her as Lucy Heartfilia, although she had taken measures to conceal her name. She wore a plain white dress, and a heart-shaped necklace hung around her neck. Like her daughter, she possessed stunning brown eyes.

The tranquility of the morning was disrupted when the girl's bedroom door swung open. Standing there was the same blonde woman from the picture, dressed in a light blue shirt and black pants, her hair gathered in a side ponytail secured with a blue ribbon. A white glove adorned her right hand.

"Nashi, are you still asleep?" Lucy asked, her gaze directed towards the lump under the blankets. Receiving no response, she trudged over to the bed ungracefully.

"If you're late for school again, you'll get detention, and we don't want that, do we?" Lucy inquired upon reaching the bed. Without hesitation, she uncovered the blankets, revealing the girl with pink hair staring blankly at nothing.

Nashi, now a few years older than in the picture, appeared to be around 9 years old. Her hair had lightened slightly but still retained its lovely pink hue. She wore a simple yellow t-shirt and basketball shorts as her pajamas, with socks covering her feet. Her brown eyes no longer held the brightness seen in the photograph but had a somewhat lifeless quality.

"You've been awake this whole time!" Lucy exclaimed unhappily. Without wasting any more time, she made her way to Nashi's dresser on the opposite side of the bed. "It doesn't matter. Hurry up and get dressed. I'll pick out your clothes. If you hurry, you might be able to walk to school with Mai."

However, Nashi remained motionless, lying on the bed and gazing at the ceiling. With minimal effort, she lifted her left arm to shield her eyes from the blinding rays of the sun streaming through the window. Expecting to see her daughter up and preparing for breakfast, Lucy turned around but grew increasingly concerned upon realizing Nashi hadn't budged. Throughout her life, Nashi had been obedient, but recently, Lucy had noticed her daughter's lack of energy, which troubled her.

Returning to her daughter's side, Lucy took a seat on the bed next to her.

"Nashi," she whispered gently, "are you alright? You've been acting differently lately." Nashi offered no response. Lucy tried to discern the cause of her daughter's behavior and only one possibility came to mind.

"Did something happen at school?" Lucy asked. The two sat in silence for a few moments. Lucy contemplated leaving if the matter was too personal, but then she heard Nashi speak.

"He found out I don't have a dad."

Lucy's heart clenched upon hearing her daughter's distress. She listened attentively as Nashi began to elaborate.

Nashi revealed that her secret about not having a father was discovered during a discussion about career day at school. Ayame asked about everyone's fathers' interesting professions, which prompted Nashi's distress.

When Ayame inquired about Nashi's father's occupation, Nashi responded by stating that she didn't know her dad. Tears welled up in her eyes as she recounted the hurtful words of Haruto, who claimed that Nashi didn't have a father because he didn't love her. Overwhelmed with emotion, Nashi sought solace in her mother's comforting embrace, shedding silent tears against her chest. After a while, her mother gently pulled away, her face filled with guilt.