Chapter Twenty-One: Elizabeth

Comenzar desde el principio

Was that last bit too much? Too harsh? Mr. Jones ducked his head and turned on his heel. Out he hurried like there was a wolf on his heels. "He still didn't introduce himself," I commented, lifting my coffee cup. Oh, dear. My hands were shaking. "How very rude."

"Well," Noah said with a slight laugh. "You probably rattled him by being reasonable. Here I was worried about how you would feel meeting the town. Looks like I had no reason to worry."

"We could use a bit more sense and reason in this town," Mrs. Royal commented. Her expression was a mixed one of amusement and bemusement. "It seems in short supply lately."

At some point, I would have to talk to the town about these rumors, but not just yet. It was nice to see Mrs. Royal was on Noah's side. She was just one person, but that was something.

"My parents raised me to always be sure of something before you believe it," I told her. And how foolish I had appeared when I'd forgotten this! "Rumors and gossip have a way of distorting the truth. There have been many fools that took information at face value only to be humiliated later because of it."

The other woman let out a laugh. "You're either going to make many friends or many enemies, Miss Garrison. I look forward to seeing what happens," she said before she walked away.

Oh, dear. Concerned, I turned back to Noah. "I'm sorry. I think I have spent too much time with my friend Molly. She loves nothing more than to tell it like it is, as they say."

"At least you always know where you stand with a person like that," he responded with a smile. And a moment later, his smile faded. "She wouldn't talk about you behind your back."

For a moment, I wondered what my own family was saying now that I wasn't there. It couldn't be that much different from what they'd said to my face. "That is very true." I applied myself to finishing the pie in front of me.

All too soon, Noah was standing up. "I know you've been sitting for a long time, but it's time to head out," he said, holding his hand out to me. "It's a bit of a drive to the Harpers' house."

I couldn't keep from grimacing. When I'd first set out on my journey, it had been a novel experience to sit for so long, but I had quickly found it tiresome. To do nothing just didn't feel natural. Not even Mrs. Elliott's Housewife could keep my attention for hours on end.

"I'm sorry," Noah said, his face sympathetic. "The cost of living in a territory like this, I'm afraid."

"No, it's fine," I assured him quickly. "I'm ready."

"I look forward to seeing you on Sunday," Mrs. Royal called over. "The preacher will be here then. You have excellent timing."

Noah sputtered before he managed to thank her. I felt my cheeks heat up as I realized why she'd said what she did. She thought we would be married on Sunday. Well, maybe. If we decided we suited each other enough to take the chance.

"I'm sorry for that," Noah repeated as he escorted me out. "I don't know why she said that."

"It's not your fault. I suppose it should be reassuring that she assumes we're going to be married that soon. Better than the town assuming...well, something worse, you know?"

It was sweet to see the color creep up his neck. "That's true," he agreed after he cleared his throat. "I'll help you into the wagon and then get your trunk."

The hair on the back of my neck crawled as I took a seat on the wagon seat. But when I glanced around, unlike before, I couldn't see anyone nearby.

Strange. It had barely been half an hour, and suddenly no one was interested in me? Not that I thought myself so incredibly fascinating, but Noah had said there were seldom visitors to the town. Was it because I was Noah's guest that no one was curious about me? Had Mr. Jones already begun complaining about how I had spoken to him?