Chapter 3: Class-D meets Class-D

Magsimula sa umpisa

Ike rudely interrupted. "Huh? Aren't we having like a gazillion special exams every year? Something's sus..."

"Shut up." The blonde-haired boy glared with his full intensity at Ike. "This world is slowly shifting into a meritocracy and if there is still someone here who's uncomfortable to interact with upper or underclassmen, I suggest you consider your strategies.

Anyway, coincidentally this exam is similar to the Paper Shuffle. I'm sure the first years are familiar with it." Various nods of agreement resonated throughout the hall.

"The rules are simple; Partner up with any first year and score a combined score of at least 501 points to clear. Each subject will have a max of 100 points. If the duo fails to overcome this hurdle, then only the second year will get expelled. Simple." He finished off the explanation with a grin.

The gravitas was understood quite clearly by everyone. Class-D gulped in anticipated breaths hoping none of their classmates and friends would get expelled.

With Nagumo Miyabi seeing me as the person of interest coinciding with Horikita-senpai, it wouldn't be unlikely for him to join hands with Tsukishiro and try to take me out.

"There's no way that one of the first-years is gonna wanna pair up with me! Is an idiot like me really supposed to rely on communication skills in order to get through this!?" Ike's lament was understandable.

That was why, given the circumstances, I didn't think we needed to be so surprised by this, but apparently the rest of the class didn't feel the same.

"They must have an awful lot of courage to come to their upperclassman's classroom."

As I pondered about it, Yōsuke spoke up to explain it to me.

"Imagine if we went to visit the third-year students. We'd probably be much more careful about it, right?"

"That's true..."

It'd be a different story if we were on close terms with a lot of the upperclassmen, but that wasn't the case for the first-years.

Yōsuke went out to the hallway to take a look, so I tagged along with him. Horikita and Sudō followed close behind us as well. The first person that I noticed was a young man with a large build. There were several reasons he stood out.

The first being that he was about the same height as Sudō. But even more than that, the confident, brazen way he walked down the dead-centre of the second-year hallway was profoundly impressive.

 But even more than that, the confident, brazen way he walked down the dead-centre of the second-year hallway was profoundly impressive

"He looks like Ryuen-kun but just uglier." Himeno said.

"Oof! Yuki-chan, that's rude! I feel bad for the poor kouhai. Maybe he's acting tough towards the upperclassmen, you know, like an intimidation tactic." Yume giggled.

"Kukuku, he reminds me of a character from the movie 'Planet of the Apes'"

Ishizaki pondered. "Who is it, Ryuen-san? Do you mean that Mark Walburg guy?"