Doctors and Proctors

Start from the beginning

    "Oh.. no really, it's alright.. I know you weren't trying to-" Marty jumbled through his words sheepishly before taking a deep breath. "I- thank you. I should just say thank you. I'm sorry I tried to take away yours."

    "Thank you." Vincent stated with a peaceful tranquility. "I get it... being upset, I mean.. I suppose I was just upset when I thought Lucas had someone else."

     "Thank you." Marty ran a hand through his black hair wistfully. "That actually makes me feel a lot better." 

     Marty nodded to himself quietly and they fell into a more comfortable silence. Ms. Marshall eyed the two boys suspiciously. She wasn't sure exactly what they were talking about but from context clues she gathered Marty had also harbored feeling for Lucas. She looked the boy up and down. His dirty shoes to his flannel shirt and heartbreaker smile caused her to grimace. The her sights turned to Vincent next to him, hands covered by the sleeves of a cream sweater he was hugging closer to himself. The little redheaded boy who'd cared for Lucas since they were children was definitely more what a mother like her wanted for her son.

    "I'm gonna run and grab some coffee. Anybody want some?"

    "No thank you." Vincent smiled. 

      Marty stood up, brushed his thighs and made his way down the hallway towards the cafe. Ms. Marshall watched him intently from behind as he moved. 

     "If Lucas hadn't liked you he'd be with that boy, wouldn't he?" She asked. 

     "Maybe.." Vincent's brows furrowed in confusion. "Maybe not... but it'd still be a boy."

     "I... I figured. He's very attached to you, isn't he?"

      "Yes, Ma'am." Vincent nodded. "I believe he is."

      "Then I should probably get to know you better... shouldn't I?"

      "I'd like that."

      "You're tired today." Jennifer patted Vincent's shoulder. "But we'll... I'll put in the effort to get to know you."

     "Thank you, Ms. Marshall."

     "Jen."

     "Jen." Vincent repeated, it sounding weird to his ears as it left his mouth. For so long she'd been the monster who came along with Lucas and terrified Vincent, but here she was a broken little woman. "I love Lucas."

     "I'm glad... you always have?"

     "I think so." Vincent shrugged. "I think I just didn't always realize it."

      "Sometimes I don't think he knows how much I do... please.. once this is over, remind him. I don't think he'll want to talk to me for a while."

     "He will." Vincent reached out and took her hand in his own. "But I will. I only had a mother growing up... I know how much it means. I'll never let him forget."

     "Thank you." Tears streamed down Jen's face. "Do you think he'll want to see me when he comes out?"

     "Of course," Vincent exclaimed, and heavier tears fell from her face. He drew her into his arm and hugged her tightly, letting her tears soak through his sweater. "Of course he will."

     "Thank you." She repeated. 

     Ms. Chance lifted her head from Vincent's shirt and wiped her nose, lifting her chin. Crying in a public place was certainly not proper. She pushed her stray hairs behind her ears and shook the sadness from her eyes. "I'm sorry." She said stiffly, patting at Vincent's sweater. "You shouldn't have had to see that... I'm embarrassed." 

     She eyed the other people in the waiting room, but being at a hospital meant most of them felt the exact same way as her.

      "I know I threw that game pretty bad, but you don't need to cry about it." Lucas' voice shattered the silence, and Vincent and Jennifer both stood up to greet him. He was balanced on crutches and had a thick cast over his leg. 

      "Lucas!" Vincent exclaimed, shaking his own tears from his face. Tears he hadn't realized he'd cried. "Are you okay? How's you leg?"

     "It's fine." Lucas shrugged. "I've got to take it easy, but next season I'll be ready to play full force."

     "Thank God." Jennifer clutched her neck. "I'm so sorry Lucas... I didn't, I never meant to-"

     "It's alright mom." Lucas shook his head. "We can.. we should talk about this in private."

    "Of course." Jennifer looked down at her hands. 

     "I got Lucas coffee, I figured he might want it when he got-" Marty began emerging from around the hallway. When he saw Lucas had gotten out of the room his face paled in fear. The million times he'd gone over their reunion in his head, it hadn't been Lucas accidentally seeing him where he wasn't meant to be. 

      Lucas eyed Marty for a moment, then looked to Vincent who smiled encouragingly. Lucas nodded a greeting to Marty, then reached out and offered his hand, "I'd love some coffee, thank you."

     "I.. yes, here you go." Marty handed him the cup. "I meant to give it to Vincent to give to you, you weren't supposed to see me. I'm sorry you had to."

     "I'm glad to see you." Lucas smiled endearingly. "You drove Vincent to the game?"

     "Yes." Marty smiled a lopsided smirk. "I knew you'd need him."

     "Thank you, then." Lucas turned to Vincent with weak smile of his own. "I'll see you."

     "I'd like that." Marty beamed. 

     "Let's go home. I'm exhausted, and I want to sleep in my own bed." Lucas turned to Vincent with a weak smile.

     "I've got the keys. I'll drive you." Jennifer nodded, futilely wiping her face again. 

     "I'm just so relieved you're alright... does it hurt terribly?" Vincent asked, fretting over Lucas' leg. 

     "Like a bitch." Lucas chuckled. "But I'll get through it. Come on."