Chapter 3: Blue-Eyed Stranger

Start from the beginning

"Okay!" he says simultaneously when I continue my rant, "I won't give you a chance for regretting—" before I pause, and realization sinks in. 

I blink and frown, "Wait, what?" only to notice amusement on his countenance. He coolly shoves his hands into his pockets and grins.

"Really?" I raise my eyebrows, astonished. 

He shrugs, "Sure! I will inform my secretary to contact you before you make the delivery." Linda and Zara are relieved when he surprises me by stepping closer and clearing his throat, "Anyway, can I get a cup of black coffee to go, please?" 

I blink and abruptly clap with an awkward grin, "Sure! Why not? I'll be back in a minute."

Shyly, I turn and sprint inside the kitchen, slamming the door behind me. I lean over the countertop and huff, "What the heck!" With my heart pounding and my face feeling hot, I focus on calming myself down when the kitchen door opens again, and Zara walks in. I take a deep breath and look at her, "Hey—" 

"That was embarrassing." she interrupts as she runs a hand through her hair and exclaims with a huff.

I purse my lips and sigh, "Tell me about it." 

"I ruined the guy's tailored suit. Since when did I be so clumsy? I have a squeaky-clean record as a worker here. How did I let it blemish?" 

I bury my head in my hands and groan. 

"Well, for a CEO, he was pretty calm and peaceful after such an incident. He didn't yell or act like a total jerk. Instead, he was flirting with—" 

"Wait, that guy is a CEO? Do you mean the guy who recently took over the CEO position?" I blurt out curiously. 

Zara  nods in confirmation, "Yup, he is Alastair Alexander from Alexander Corporation—" and then she exclaims, "I wonder why a  busy man like him here when he could have sent any employee of his," however a second later, she claps and clamours excitedly, "but I am still overjoyed that he is here, intimidatingly hot and intelligent, how often do we get to see men like him in our life, right?" 

After a dazed couple of minutes, my eyes widen as I gasp and cover my mouth, "Oh no! What did I do?" I look up at her. 

"I can't believe I screwed up. I did, didn't I? I am screwed, right?"

Zara takes her sweet time and shrugs, "Yeah, you did!"

I give her a deadpan look and snarl, "Couldn't you be a little supportive?"

"Oh, okay! You didn't screw up." Zara sneers.

I roll my eyes and snap, "Aww, gee, thanks—" 

"You're welcome!" Zara mumbles with a small smile before she straightens up and clears her throat, "Maybe, you didn't. But, as you saw it first-hand, Mr CEO isn't that bad." reassuringly.

"That was before I knew who he was, Zara!" I snap again.

"Still, based on your interaction and what I witnessed, he seems nice—" A hint of hope emerges. I mumble, "You think so?" as I silently contemplate that he doesn't seem like those typical snobbish rich people who would throw tantrums and be annoyed for unnecessary reasons and keep grudges against a person. 

Zara snaps her fingers as I blink, "Where to?" "Nowhere?" I shake my head and mutter before I move to make him a cup of black coffee— Yuck! 

"Shall we go now, princess?" Zara quips minutes later. I narrow my eyes and scowl as she first walks out of the room. I stop at the door and look up to see the man, Mr Alastair Alexander, pleasantly chatting with a blushing Linda. Then, after a brief self-motivation lecture, I take my steps toward them and call out, "Oh, here's your coffee, sir!" more respectfully than ever. 

He looks over at me and thanks me as he hands me his card. I politely excuse myself and walk behind the counter to ring up his order. I look at him and try not to cringe at his taste as he sips. 

"A penny for your thoughts?" 

I blink back to reality. "Huh?" 

"You have a curious look on your face. If you want to say something, you can say it to me." 

Oh. 

Before I can stop my mouth from running, it does anyway, "Well, black coffee sucks."

He blinks at me, "What?"

"I mean it. Try caramel macchiato or a frappuccino next time, and it's way better than tasting that bitter poison in your hand." I comment and shrug. He stares at me, and the reality sinks as I gasp, "Oh, no!" slapping my mouth pretty hard. I wince, and so does he, with a ghost of a smile on his face when I mumble, "Oh, I'm so sorry, Mr Alexander. I didn't mean to offend you— ugh, why is this happening to me?" I groan. 

"Oh, okay! I'll try that next time." he surprises me with his response and grins.

He straightens and clears his throat, "By the way, call me Alastair; my uncle was Mr Alexander." 

I blink and stare at him. 

Before he takes a turn, I call him out, "Excuse me?" 

Mr Al—Alastair stops and looks over at me, "Yeah?" smilingly. A simple word from him causes my heart to skip a beat. I tighten my jaw and bring a brown bag to his sight, saying, "Here is something on the house."

"Huh, and this is?"

"Apple cinnamon muffins— something to present as a peace offering because I definitely cannot afford your dry-cleaning bill," I murmur, trying to keep the conversation light and breezy. 

Alastair takes the bag. 

I continue, "If this could compensate your loss a little—" when he blurts out, "Why?" Instead, he tilts his head and asks, "Is that all you feel toward me?" 

Confused, I breathe, "I don't understand, sir!"

He shrugs in response and mumbles, "I'm thankful for these, but they won't work."

I pout, "Are they not enough? I can put more—" "Your name?" he interrupts me. My heart skips again, and I stare dumbfoundedly at him. I notice my co-workers pryingly watching us as Alastair smiles, "I want to know your name." 

Suddenly feeling shy, I blush and murmur, "Lillian."