Chapter 27: Breakdown

I laid in my mom's bed curled up next to her. Everyone had left to go grab us food, shower change, but I couldn't leave. I had changed into the new clothes Anita brought me, and that's all I could manage.

My mom had woken up a few times today, but each time would get worn out quickly and fall back asleep. The medication didn't seem to be helping, and when they doubled the dose, all she did was sleep. She hadn't woken up in five hours now.

I looked up at her face, she looked so peaceful, but like this was taking more years away from her, just like the cancer had.

"Mami, you have to get better, okay? I need you." I bit my lip as tears came and I hugged her tighter.

I felt as she stirred a little in my arms, and whispered out, "Okay mija."

I peeked up at her, and her eyes were slightly open, the smallest smile on her face.

"Ma? You awake?"

"Si, barely." She coughed softly.

"How do you feel?"

"Like a thousand bucks." She joked, but it didn't feel funny to me, and she noticed, "Not that great honey."

"Mom, why didn't you tell me you weren't feeling good?" I said sitting up.

"I didn't want to worry you. Charles told me how happy you were with that other man. With Harry. Becca was finally going out with friends again. I didn't want to be a burden."

I shook my head, "You are never a burden. You're my mom. I love you. Endlessly."

I felt the tears come as the door opened, Becca and Charles walking in.

"Mami, you're awake!" Becca exclaimed running over, and I quickly got off the bed to make room for her. I wiped my tears walking over to the window.

"Hi Rosa, good to see those pretty eyes." Charles said to my mom, kissing her cheek.

I heard his footsteps approaching me, and he leaned against the wall, looking at me, "You okay?"

I shook my head.

"Maggie, I know you hate when I do this, but as your boss, you aren't working tomorrow, okay?"

I turned to look at him, "No, Charles, I can't just be here. I really can't."

"Maggie, you need to be resting then. You aren't okay."

I cried and shook my head, "I don't want to lose myself like last time. Please."

He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me, I felt him rest his cheek on top of my head, "I just need you to be okay Maggie. Olivia being there everyday isn't going to help any of this."

Olivia. I had forgotten about Olivia. All I wanted was to go to work so I could be around Harry, but of course, Olivia.

"I can handle it, just let me try tomorrow, please." I said pushing out of his arms so that we could lock eyes.

He sighed and shook his head, "Okay, but Anita is shadowing you 100%. You both are doing your jobs together. No separate tasks."

I nod as Anita and Harry walk in with food for everyone. Charles placed his hands on my shoulders and kissed my forehead, turning and walking to Harry and Anita. He took the food bags from Harry, saying something to him, before Harry walked over to me. He then began whispering something to Anita.

"Hey Mags, how are you?" Harry asked, placing a hand on my cheek. I turned my face into it and sighed.

"I don't even know anymore." I swallowed.