Chapter Twenty-Five

Start bij het begin

This must've not crossed his mother's mind because a glimpse of contrition passed over her complexion. Ronald expressed this, "She will not be happy with me. I promised that I would keep her informed of any such events."

"Son, I am sorry, but surely she won't mind it in the least. After all she knew it would come with the territory, I am quite positive."

She did make a fair point, nevertheless he urged a nearby servant to catch Bethany before they went out to the banquet. He wanted to prepare her somewhat.

"Have Bethany shown to the drawing room." He started to tell him, when his mother noticed his attention was averted, took the opportunity to take her leave.

She turned to him, an air of finality. "You took care of it, see? There's no problem. The kingdom should meet her, and soon." She said as she walked off briskly before Ronald was finished giving the order to the servant.

He knew his mother had a lot of influence with his father. In the wake of his fathers death, he was finally seeing how much his mother played a role in keeping his father in line. A part of him wanted to laugh at how his mother was quite a handful, but the other part of him wanted to explain to her she needed to relinquish her role as Queen.

It was a transition for her, one she hadn't gotten down yet. But neither has he.

Ronald turned back to the servant who stood patiently waiting, and said, "Have her meet me there, I need to speak with her before she goes out to the banquet hall." The man gave a curt nod and walked off in the direction of the king's quarters.

Ronald gave up the fight trying to speak some sense into his mother.

He averted eager guests who desired to speak with him, and slipped past the crowd into the corridors. A pleasant silence met him. He took a full breath as he walked to the drawing room. A guard followed him at a respective distance.

It was a long day. Ronald was eager for the festivities to be over. But it was far from over. Everyone wanted to speak to him, wanted to get on King's good side. And it was waning on him.

In the room, he paced the floor as the time ticked by slowly. When the door opened, it was not Bethany's head popping into the doorway, instead it was the servant he had sent.

"Is Bethany with you?" He asked, he walked over to where the servant stood at the doorway.

"I'm sorry your Royal Highnesses, but I'm afraid she is already at the banquet hall. I didn't catch her in time, a lady maid informed me she had already gone." The servant, eyes downcast, awaiting a harsh reprimand.

He wished he could sink in a hole. The day was long enough. He thanked the servant. "Thank you. It's none of your fault. I will see to it." Ronald gave him a quick pat on the shoulder and made his way back to the banquet hall. At first he couldn't locate her. But then a fine dressed lady with red hair turned, and Ronald recognized her.

It was Bethany indeed. He almost didn't recognize her in a fancy dress and makeup. She gave him a big smile when she saw him, and it took Ronald's breath away.

She sure was stunning in the emerald green dress.

His mother was right, it was time the kingdom got to know her. Ronald walked over to them, and stood listening for a moment.

The people who were talking with her grew quiet upon his arrival. All eyes turned toward him. He took the opportunity. "Might I excuse Lady Bethany for just a moment?" They gave nods in agreement. Ronald guided her away from the group.

They stared after them. His mother rushed to apologize. "I'm sorry, it would seem he is rather preoccupied. I do apologize. I was glad you got to meet her. Isn't she wonderful?" His mother slightly gushed over Bethany. And Ronald gave a soft laugh, his mother sure was garnering support for his future queen. For which he was grateful for, upon hearing.

As they walked away, Ronald leaned closer so only Bethany could hear, "It seems they already approve of their future Queen."

Color crept up Bethany's cheeks. "I'm not sure that all of them do."

"Don't worry about it. In time, everyone will come to love you." He said as they neared the corridor. He breathed a sigh of relief. "I am truly sorry, mother did not inform me that she set you up like this."

To his surprise Bethany replied, "It's okay, she only wanted to help you out. She is quite kind actually. She handled introducing me in such a pleasant manner. All though I must say it was quite unexpected. At first I thought it was something Mary set up to embarrass me. Set me up with a false ruse but then Melissa and mother assured me it was genuine." Ronald caught the mention of Mary. A servant he knew had resentment towards Bethany. He was about to comment, but decided against it.

"I was caught off guard too. That's why I wanted to talk to you beforehand but it seems you had already left. No matter, you're here now. And that's all that matters. You look beautiful by the way." He took her hand and ran a thumb over her delicate yet roughened hands.

"Thank you." She looked down at her dress instinctively, "I feel so out of place. I have never worn such a pompous dress before."

Ronald barked out a laugh. "You are quite something. Many young ladies would be dying to wear such a dress." He said with a smile. "But you are not like other ladies, are you?"

Bethany jutted her chin. "I am not. And I would just as quickly dress into something far more useful. I cannot even sit in this dress." Once more her candor speech made him laugh.

On a more serious note, Bethany said, "What if people find out I was a servant? I have not yet been crowned a princess, they could just as easily riot against our union. Besides, I am not properly trained in the ways of being a Queen. I might not be fit for the role."

"Even before we found out you had a title, you spoke to me as though you and I were on the same level. You didn't care what others said was proper. That's what I loved about you, no rules applied to you." He grinned. "My fiery little rebel."

Once more, her cheeks grew pink in embarrassment. He smiled and took that as an invitation to place a kiss on those red lips of hers. She didn't pull away, but rather melted into his arms.

His love for her grew with each passing day, that much was certain. There was not a moment where she didn't consume his thoughts.

He felt a presence and he pulled back. The life of a king, no time to connect with his beloved Bethany. The person slipped past them, and reluctantly Ronald took her hand and whispered into her ear, "Let's go blow everyone away with our announcement."

Together they walked hand in hand, to the threshold of the banquet hall where they were formally announced.

"I present His Royal Majesty, King Ronald the first, and Lady Bethany Bolace." Ceremonial music played as they entered, he felt Bethany tighten her hold on his arm. And he placed his hand over hers. All eyes turned to the two of them. Some cast curious glances, some judgmental, some eager to know the story of who was that lady on his arm.

Today they would know.