CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Start from the beginning

He didn't feel it.

He didn't feel anything. Emotionless.

But he was still shaking.

Sophie Foster and Dex Dizznee were gone.

Forever.

He shuddered, the movement so jerky and strong that he felt the world collapse beneath him. The world spun and his vision faded but his eyes were open.. they were open.. red and black shapes took control of his sight.

And then it was just black.

***************

Keefe's eyes felt heavy when he opened them and the blinding white light on top of him burned into them.

He shut his eyes again.

Where was he?

He wanted to look around but was too scared to open his eyes again.

What happened?

He didn't remember anything...

He remembered he left school early.

He went to Atlantis.

The cafe.. Floren and Denaia..

Keefe jerked up, pushing the blanket off of him, not feeling the rush of cold air.

"Took you long enough." A warm but very tired voice said from the side. Keefe turned his head toward where the voice had come from.

Elwin sat on a chair next to him, shoulders hunched. His eyes were rimmed with red behind his thick glasses.

Finally recognizing where he was, Keefe looked around the Healing Center. It was completely empty except for him and Elwin.

"Wha-"

"You..passed out. Someone named Denaia dropped you off here. Do you know her?"

"Uh..kind of." Speaking hurt throat, and he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. It must have been because of the guilt, or something like that.

"You're lucky you weren't alone."

Sophie and Dex were alone.

He could've helped, if he was there. Or.. only he knew every emotion Sophie was feeling. He could've found a way to help.. And then Dex wouldn't have to go after her.. And she wouldn't have left...

And they would still be here.

Keefe sank back down underneath the blanket.

He heard Elwin get up and leave, but didn't look.

No wonder Grady and Edaline shut themselves off for years. He felt like doing the same.

And he barely knew Sophie and Dex for a year.

He closed his eyes again and tried to fall back asleep, not willing to stay awake.

Maybe when he woke up... for real... it would all just be a dream. A nightmare.

***************

When he woke up again, the room he was in was all dark.

He was in his own room. In Candleshade.

How were they carrying him everywhere?

The darkness sharply contrasted from the light coming from his window, blocked by thick, dark, curtains.

It was morning already.

Keefe pulled himself out of bed and stumbled and fell, leaning against the bed.