CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Start from the beginning

"No, it's fine. I get it." He gave Fitz a small smile.

Fitz opened his mouth to speak, eyebrows furrowed. "Look.."

Suddenly, someone with glowing gold hair slammed into Fitz. They both stumbled backwards.

Fitz turned around to see Sophie leaning against the wall. "Sophie? Are you okay?" Fitz asked.

She glanced at him and Keefe and annoyance flared up, so sharp and sudden that Keefe had to put a hand to the wall to keep from stumbling.

"I'm fine," she muttered, in the most not fine way. Fitz grabbed her arm, trying to help her regain her balance, but she pushed his hand away.

Okay.. what in the world was going on? This morning, she looked perfectly okay with accepting a hug from Fitz.

"Hey." Fitz grabbed her arms. "What happened? What's wrong?" She shrugged out of his grasp and tried to push by, but he blocked her path.

"Let me go." The coldness in her voice froze Keefe still.

"Tell me what's going on first."

"Uh, Fitz." Keefe tapped him on the shoulder. "I'm feeling some pretty serious rage right now. It's probably not a good idea to annoy her."

She glared at Keefe and he took a step away from her, holding out his hands in peace.

"Tell me what happened," Fitz pleaded. She made the most disgusted face that anyone could possibly make. Keefe bet 10 pieces of mallowmelt that no one had ever looked at Fitz like that. She shoved herself away from him, and her anger radiated around the room powerfully.

"Ugh," She screamed, looking heartbroken and angry and annoyed and sad and frustrated and.. betrayed. "Just stop already."

"Stop what?"

"Stop pretending like you care. I know your dad put you up to it, okay?"

Keefe was shocked still, and he was fully leaning against the wall now. Who would do that to Foster? Not Fitz. It happened to him. Not Foster. Foster was perfect- no one needed to pretend to be friends with her- everyone wanted to be. Or they should want to be.

"That's crazy." Keefe looked at Fitz to back him up.

Fitz looked away, his whole body rigid. "What did Biana tell you?"

Keefe felt his eyes widen, his hands clenched in his pockets.

"Nothing," she hissed, hatred boiling inside her. Keefe started seeing red from her anger and he leaned his head against the wall too. "Neither of you had the decency to be honest with me. I had to hear about it from Stina."

Fitz muttered something under his breath. "Sophie, it's—"

"I don't want to hear it." Her voice cracked, and in that moment, Keefe knew she meant it. She meant the anger. Just earlier he was wishing someone understood.

But now... now he wished he was the only person in the world who had to go through that pain. He hoped no one would have to go through what he went through everyday when he went home. Especially not Sophie.

"Better leave her alone," Keefe said, pulling Fitz away. He glanced over his shoulder as he dragged Fitz down the hall, hoping she would see the question in his eyes.

Will you be okay?

He knew the answer even before she shook her head, and watched her pull out her home crystal, the light making the tears in her eyes glitter.

Then she was gone.

And Biana was running down the hallway, her hair flying behind her. She grabbed Fitz's arm. "Where's Sophie?"