"I promise, Rosalie," Edward said. "And we've proved it to ourselves, haven't we? That we can keep them safe, keep this town safe. We'd ruin ourselves before letting them get hurt."

He had ruined himself. The red tinge to his eyes had been scary to see. Yet something about the sight had comforted Rosalie. It was proof of his dedication, of a restraint that Rosalie had not been convinced he held. He'd done it with her help and it had made her think too hard. Perhaps that had been their problem. She hadn't given him the support he needed to be with Bella. Not like the rest of the family had. But could they blame her? A dangerous game...

"I just want to be happy, Rose. I want us to be happy. You deserve it more than most," he said. "I know you want that too."

"I do." The words came out harsher than she wanted them to. She gripped a hand to her face. "I just don't know how to be. Not while I'm this."

Edward was quiet then, so still that if he hadn't been holding onto her hand, she might've forgotten he was there. She'd finally scared him into silence then. It was the one time she wanted him to talk. Rose wanted an answer, needed it.

But she would never get it. Not from her brother's words, at least.

They heard Alice before they saw her. She was humming purposefully, trailing swirling patterns around the trees, giving them time to expect her. On her lips, a wistful smile was placed and in her hands, a box.

"I was looking for you," she said, eyes glazing past Edward, ignoring him in favour of examining Rosalie. "Edward. I'd like to talk to my sister please."

She gave her one last squeeze of the hand before he stood, leaving her to Alice's whims. Her sister gave no greeting, no explanation for her being there. She only handed over the box, laying it in Rosalie's lap, staring at her expectantly.

"I brought you something."

"What is it?" The question fell stupidly from her lips as she pulled the lid from the box, revealing swathes of black material. "The dress. You're giving it to me."

"Mhm." A hum was Alice's only response.

The dress was beautiful, as dark as midnight, with pearls lining the deep neckline like glistening moons. When she touched it, the fabric was soft, streaks of velvet running across the bodice, layered with purple beneath sheer lace. Rosalie glanced up at her sister, unsure. The dress had been finished for ages- for about as long as Alice had been giving Rose the silent treatment.

"What have I done to deserve it now?"

"You helped Bella. You talked to Edward. You're going to talk to me," Alice said, entwining their arms together.

"Alice-"

Her sister cut her off, nose held high in the air. "You don't have to say it. I think I understand."

"I don't think you ever could."

She did not mean it to be cruel. It was the truth, In Rosalie's eyes. Alice only hummed and pulled their arms closer.

"No, maybe not. Not entirely anyway," she said. Her eyes were glazed- the type of look that held a vision behind her gaze, but Rosalie knew there was no second sight there and then. Whatever Alice was seeing was not a glimpse of the future, but a moment of her wishes. She could tell by the crease in her face, the tilt of emotion- things that were not present in her peek at the future. "But I know you're scared of getting too close to her."

"I don't know what-"

Alice's look was pointed but fleeting. "Don't try that with me, Rose, we all know her name by now. Violet Green." The name sounded odd on her sister's lips. That name seemed to exist separate from the world of her family. "She's going to be at the dance, isn't she?"