TWO. the relocation

[ NIGHT CHANGES ]
chapter two; the relocation

[ NIGHT CHANGES ]chapter two; the relocation

What are the Avengers like?

CATALINA SLEPT THROUGH MOST OF THE JET RIDE. She used Lucie's shoulder and arm as her pillow, and she was shocked when she didn't wake up with a nasty crick in her neck.

When she had awoken, the sun broke through the windows, the bright rays assaulting her eyes. Catalina buried her dirt-caked face into Lucie's shoulder, the blonde woman nudging her slowly. "Despierta, Catalina." ("Wake up, Catalina.") She whispered, watching as the young royal gained her bearings.

"Where are we now?" Catalina stretched, small pops sounding from her back as she moved.

"New York," Lucie replied. When Catalina finished her stretch, she was shocked to find herself locked in Lucie's hug. She decided not to fight back, even though she wasn't the biggest fan of physical touch. "Te voy a echar de menos." ("I'm gonna miss you.")

"Why do I have to stay here?" Catalina allowed a short sigh to run away from her lips. "I wanna go with Bella and Mari and-"

"Es por tu seguridad, princesa." ("It's for your safety, princess.") Lucie rose to her feet, Catalina following suit. "Tenemos que." ("We have to.")

"Fine." She huffed, slinging her loaded bookbag onto her back. With her hand linked with Lucie's, Catalina allowed the older woman to walk her out of the jet, where a black car was waiting. Two strong-looking people stepped out of it, each person wearing dark shades with a navy jacket. Catalina noticed that they adorned a small Avengers logo on the shoulder of the jacket, which helped her recognize them faster.

The tall blond was Steve Rogers. He seemed unhealthily patriotic, but Catalina would never say such a thing aloud. Steve looked to be the unofficial leader of the Avengers, even though she couldn't prove her hypothesis. Her mother and father had met him before, and she thanked God Himself that they had no complaints about him.

The little redhead was Natasha Romanoff. She had a quiet reserve about her that made Catalina nervous. She seemed to analyze the girl as she approached her, Natasha's moss-green eyes meticulously scanning her. Catalina could see the gears in her brain turning fast and hard, even behind the glasses. Still, Natasha was very admirable; if she could stand her ground while fighting alongside a god, she had to be respectable.

When the four met at the black car, Catalina struggled to listen to the conversation between the adults. Between her loudly-beating heart and Natasha's watchful eye, she wanted nothing more than to run back onto the jet and get the pilot to fly her back home, terrorists be damned.

She hadn't even noticed that they stopped talking until Lucie had pulled her into another tight hug. This one was extremely comforting, and Catalina had the sense to return it, her arms wrapping around Lucie's abdomen. "Cuídate, y no hagas nada estúpido." ("Take care, and don't do anything stupid.")