"True, but there is still a possibility of what happened in the past between his father and Yusuf bin Khalid coming in the way," Noura voices her concern. "They may not hold him accountable for it, but what if they still prefer ibn Khalid to rule them than ibn Marwan?"

"Then what do you suggest, my Amira?"

Noura pauses as her mind begins to think, her eyes on the scrolls before her as she tries to come up with a solution.

"Adam wouldn't be unaware of it and must have done something to rectify it, hasn't he?"

Zahir nods. "A great majority favors him. He always made sure to personally see to the needs of his people. But under Al Hadi's rule, his access in Baghdad has been limited. So I cannot assure you of the capital's loyalty towards him."

"Adam's access has been limited, but not mine, syed Zahir." She picks up a scroll and a quill, and starts scribbling on it. "Adam is assigned as the treasurer of Baghdad. I want a report on how the gold has been distributed so far in his absences. If we're facing any deficiencies, I'll fulfill them from my personal treasury. Make sure the soldiers under him are satisfied. And send someone to the city under my name to see to the needs of the people. We need them to trust us that Al Shafay is a man capable and deserving as they see Al Hadi. I hope they give him a chance."

"As you please, my Amira."

Noura puts her seal on the scroll and hands it over to him. "These are the orders for now. Send a messenger to syed Daryush to see me before the council meeting. It's very important for me to discuss some things with him."

Zahir tips his head, a little hesitant. "Pardon my candidness, sayidati, but convincing syed Daryush to pass any verdict without bringing it into the knowledge of your husband might not sit well with him. What if Ameer Adam objects to it?"

She looks down to the quill in her hand, rolling it between her fingers absently. "Do you think when the truce ends without the verdict being passed, and between Adam and Sulaiman one reclaims the throne, will one kill the other?"

Zahir doesn't respond, probably not able to come up with the answer, and Noura puts away the quill before looking up at him.

"I'll tell you," she says. "If Adam reclaims the throne, he might send Sulaiman in exile, but he will never kill him. He didn't kill him even as Al Shafay, not because he lacked authority to do so or because the council forbade him, but because he didn't want to spill the blood of his family." For Yusuf. Because he knew the pain of loss, and he didn't want to take his brother and put him through what he once endured. Noura thinks but doesn't add. "But if Sulaiman reclaims the throne, there's a possibility that he might kill him and I cannot allow it. At no cost."

Especially not now. Not when she can have a family with him. Not when he can have again what he has lost.

Zahir only nods in understanding.

A few minutes more go by as they finalizes some things before Zahir excuses himself and Noura returns to her chamber. It's later in the evening when Daud brings her a letter, along with the message that Daryush awaits her in the library.

"Sayidati, the letter that you asked for." Daud presents it to her.

"Did you make sure it's the same letter?" Noura asks to confirm, and he tilts forward his head in affirmation.

"The same, sayidati. I fetched it myself."

"Good." Noura takes the letter from him. "Come with me. Let us meet syed Daryush and see if he's doing his job properly this time."

They arrive at the library where Daryush is already waiting for her. He tips his head in greeting and Noura returns the gesture.

"Masa' al khayr, Amira."