His breathing slowed. "Mother?"

Danielle stared out at him from her long-distance with wet eyes.

"Mother?!" Thomas couldn't hold back. He started running towards her but she was retreating into the forest, disappearing into the dark of the trees. "No! Don't leave me!" he begged. The moment he entered the forest, a sudden pulse of nauseating tremor made his trip and he fell against a surface of solid metal. He pushed himself up but found himself now in a corridor of cold iron. Not much light showing except a few green ceiling lights.

He heard the dripping of water. The clanging of the metal walls. He felt scared. But then he heard distant screeching which made his heart slow down again. He felt fear crawling into his body, regain control of his will of mind. He heard metallic stalking just like the night he receive his back scar. He turned slowly around and to his shock, saw the head of a Griever appear in sight. He ran. He sprinted forward, hearing the Maze monster pursuing him. He turned left quickly into a thinner passage. But Griever manage to climb through after him, attaching its legs to the wall like a spider so it could pursue him by climbing between both walls.

He made it out of the pathway into another wider corridor. He tried to run forward but in his mind, a powerful pulse of light made him fall back. He tried to run again but something froze him. He felt his body being elevated into the air. His back slammed against the ceiling. He couldn't control himself. All he could control was his face. The Griever came out of the narrow pathway and marched from underneath him. It raised its ugly flea head towards his face. It roared and he screamed.

Thomas's screams crammed the room. The doctor's light in his eyes didn't make him blink. The machine had only extracted a few drops of serum from his body. The doctor dinged the glass vial that it had been extracted into.

He heard audible footsteps behind a large glass window across the room. He saw Ava and Teresa. The doctor talked to them through the glass. "We've just stared but we've got only a few drops,"

Ava stared through the glass at a horror-stricken Thomas. "Do it again,"

Thomas screamed as more awful images materialised in his mind, making him scream in terror. He saw his father being shot to death by soldiers. He saw his mother being pulled away by Cranks to be devoured. He saw his brother being eaten alive by Grievers. Then he saw Newt turning towards him, all beastly and wolfish, no longer the same boy he fell in love with. Still, no good amount of serum was extracted from his mind.

"What is going on?" demanded Ava.

"I don't know!" the doctor complained. "Nothing we do will produce enough serum!"

Before Ava could complain again, another doctor came bursting into the room. "Doctor Paige! Sorry to disturb you! It's Subject A5!"

The mention of Newt's code name made Thomas fight his mental disorder to raise his head and ears.

"He's becoming more violent every hour! We tried to give him powerful doses of serum but it won't work,"

Ava sighed. She entered the room and stood before Thomas. "I'm sorry Thomas. But Newt cannot stay here anymore!"

Her words made Thomas shout out. "You promised! You promised you'd give him as much serum as he needs!" The fury in his voice had been stored up for hours waiting for a moment to be fired at the woman whom he despised more than anything.

"His infection rate has accelerated. He will transform within hours! It is too dangerous to keep him here and I will waste our entire supply. I'll let you say goodbye," Ava cocked her head and two guards appeared, releasing him from his restraints. He nearly collapsed the moment his feet touched the floor. He was dragged away from the lab to the elevator. He was taken downwards to a prison cell meant for the non-Immunes. They pulled him towards the black cell marked A5. He was shoved inside and the door locked behind him.