Chapter 9: Phantom Pain

Start from the beginning

"I advise that you keep your judgement to yourself, Y/n. And get off of your high horse." He said lowly, taking a step towards you.

Then another.

And another.

Each step he took was met with one of your own, as you walked slowly away until he had backed you into a corner.

"How is that fair?" You scoffed, noting the wall behind you. Feeling the cold cement on your fingertips. You began to feel your heart pounding within your chest. Whether it was from fear or agitation, however, you weren't sure. Likely both. "You look down on anybody that crosses your path."

"Well, we can't all be perfect." He chuckled smugly.

"You pretentious fu-"

Your insult was interrupted by the stag grabbing your chin in his gloved hand, tilting your head up to look at him. His eyes narrowed as he looked at you -no, looked through you, his cheshire smile growing with delight as he watched the panic flicker in your eyes, your pupils shrinking; revealing more of the white in your irises. Your ears drooping slightly against your will. Tuning into the steady rhythm of your heartbeat, growing even faster as it thumped in your chest. The symphony of your heartstrings picking up tempo was enough to make him hungry.

But alas, he found you more useful with a pulse rather than as a meal.

"You know what I desire most?" He mused, leaning in close to you.

"Please say a breath mint, cause you need one..."

"Very funny." He huffed, his patience wearing thin due to your relentless snarkiness. "I desire... entertainment."

"Yeah well your idea of entertainment falls very close to sadism at times." You said, looking down at his hand that held your face firmly in place before looking back up at him.

"You're not wrong," he hummed, stroking your jaw with his thumb before talking another small step toward you. You couldn't help but feel a little intimidated by the fact that he was so close to you. You could feel the heat radiating off of him. "But are you really that much better?"

"Are you high?" You scoffed. "Theft and murder aren't even remotely the same thing."

"We both take." He answered quickly. "Money, a life, both valuable. Both stolen... Without regard of how the person may feel about, we do it for our own selfish reason. Besides, I don't just mean our sins, my dear. Your pride, your taste for the finer things -don't think I didn't notice the designer dress you have on. I'd like to bet my money helped pay for that... You like making fun, and displaying just how better you think you are... Y/n, sweetheart, you and I are not so different."

"I am not like you." You spat. Refusing to believe a single word of it. He's manipulating you. He's trying to intimidate you. "You're a monster.... A vessel of horror... You aren't fooling anybody..."

"The way I see it, you and I could have a lot of fun together." He chuckled, his sinister grin growing wider. His crimson and ruby eyes glowing, almost flickering as if hellfire blazed within them.

"Considering we're colleagues at the hotel, our relationship can go one of two ways." He said lowly. You winced and tried to turn away as he leaned in closer but his grip stayed firm, forcing you to keep looking ahead at him.

"I can either be your closest ally, perhaps even a friend one day, or; I can make your worst nightmares seem like mere child's play. That entirely depends on whether or not you can be nice."

You scolded yourself internally as a barely audible whimper of fear escaped past your lips as the buck leaned in, whispering in your ear. His voice sending a rush of chills down your spine as he spoke, the filter of radio audio within his voice now sounding gritty as he rasped.