Chapter 51

The largest horse race of the year

And I controlled more than half of it.

There was a twinge of sadness as I walked amongst the stands, allowing business associates to take my hand, engaging in small talk and pleasantries. I was aware I'd reached a goal most people in this line of work could only dream of. And yet it felt so empty and hollow.

It would never be enough. I'd always want more.

I'd want more until I had the entire thing under my control. I'd want more until all the races of England went through me. And then I'd start on America. And on and on, until one of us gave out: me, or the industry.

It would never bring me peace.

But the day was an excuse to drink and be merry, if nothing else, and so I sat in my box and allowed Michael to pour me whiskey after whiskey.

And if I was being completely honest, the entire time, I was waiting for Thomas Shelby.

But he didn't come. I frowned. The Peaky Blinders had four horses in the races. Perhaps they'd chosen to skip the first day of the event. I tried not to let the thought bother me.

"Everything alright, Miss?" Michael asked.

"Fine," I replied, downing my drink.

He lit a cigarette. I frowned. I'd never seen Michael smoke before — perhaps the day's nerves had gotten to him, too. "Worried about the Peaky Blinders?" He asked.

"Michael, the day I worry about that pack of cretins, you be sure to put a bullet in me."

"Right you are, Miss."

I nursed my drink close to my chest. "You're sure they're not here?" I asked quietly, too quietly for the other men to hear above their laughter.

"I can have Grubs take a lap again."

"No need." I shook myself out of my disappointment as best I could. Tried to dispel the notion that the whole affair suddenly seemed to be a waste of time. "You make a toast," I told Michael. "This is all feeling rather sullen."

He lifted his glass and thought for a moment. "To you, Miss," he said. "For running this company better than anyone else could hope to."

"You still remember to flatter me, I see," I said as we drank to his toast. My cheeks turned a light pink. "But my father will have his day in court in just a fortnight. He'll be running things again, down in London, at least."

Michael pressed the pad of his thumb against the rim of his glass. "My loyalty is to you, Miss. Where you go, I'll go. Whether that's Birmingham, or another firm entirely."

I considered his words for a moment in shock. "Don't let the others hear you speak like that," I murmured. "They're already on edge after someone betrayed our heist to the Shelby's."