Chapter 6: Oath

Levi's POV

Hanji said that her house is around 5 to 6 km from here. Usually, it would take us at least an hour to reach that but since Eld is injured, it would take us longer than usual. Aside from that, we also need to minimize our contact with the undead so we most likely have to find an alternate route if ever our path is blocked with them. My guess is that we'll reach Hanji's home maybe at 4 in the afternoon or if we get so lucky to encounter none, we'll be there a few hours earlier.

I looked at my squads who had already finished packing up. Petra has her bag at her back while Oluo is carrying both his M40 and Eld's rifle. Gunther is already out with his shotgun in order to observe the status of the road ahead of us while Eld is lying on the floor with Hanji on his side. The doctor is monitoring his breathing and pulse from time to time because according to Hanji, it would be bad if ever that Eld died in this environment. He would most likely get infected by the virus thus she makes sure that my soldier won't hit the bucket until we reach her house.

Gunther came running down the slope after his 15 minutes absence. Each of us darted our eyes at him as he reported the status.

"The road is clear sir" He said after he saluted. "I already eliminated the 7 undeads that were walking around here"

I nodded at him and as I looked at his shotgun. "You didn't use that, did you?" I asked my soldier who shook his head.

"No, sir!" He answered. I already told my squad about Hanji's hypothesis. That is why right now, I forbid them to use their gun unless we become cornered in a dire situation. Aside from preventing the undeads to get attracted to our spot, it would also help us to preserve our limited ammo.

I faced my squad once Gunther lined up with them. "Today, we'll be going to Doctor Zoe's house and as planned, we'll take the route towards the inside of the city" I said as I pointed my hand in the said direction. "The virus is mostly concentrated in that area so I order you all to stay more vigilant of your surroundings. Prevent emitting any sound that could attract the undeads and if ever you encounter one, make sure to notify us all. Remember that we have to keep our fighting at minimum" I instructed them, making sure that I gave an emphasis on the last few words.

"Bozado, carry Eld on your back. Ral will support you from the rear while Schultz and I will lead the way" I said and my squad immediately got into action. Oluo jogged towards Eld who tried to get up with the help of Petra. Gunther on the other hand, once again ran up the slope since he will also be leading our walk to our destination. They are moving in haste because they know that if we fail to reach Hanji's house before evening, we'll be totally baiting ourselves to those rotting bastards.

I closed my eyes for a second, fighting the throbbing in my head. This has been going on since morning and up until now, I have been enduring it. I can't even point if this is caused by my fall from the chopper or due to my lack of sleep. But nevertheless, I have to push it aside. My squad's and Hanji's well-being comes in first after all.

I raised my hand to my temple, gently massaging it to null the pain. As I did that, I heard a couple of stomping noises in front of me. This made me open my eyes, only to be greeted by a frowning doctor.

"You really like to leave me out" She told me, raising an eyebrow as I rolled my eyes.

"You are also a subject of our protection so you don't really need to participate that much" I said, as I turned my back to her. I was about to walk towards Gunther's position when Hanji ran from behind up to my front to stop me. I let out a breath, narrowing my eyes at her.

"Don't treat me as a liability" Hanji said, poking her index finger at my chest. "Give me a weapon and I can definitely fight alongside you" She said with determination in her voice.