xvi. three heads of a dragon

MAEGYA | xvi.
"THEY'VE GOT COOL WALKS."
THREE HEADS OF A DRAGON

THE ELEVATOR SMELLED bad

Besides the fact that there were ten people crammed in like a can of sardines, more than half of them reeked of sweat and salt. The mildewy scent of the Undercroft lingered on all of them and Thea resented the sticky feeling that coated her face. She also hated the way her joints felt frozen over and solid. Her entire chest felt tight.

Theadora Rhaenerys Valaryen was going to create a spell to put an end to a multigenerational illness. An incurable, undetectable illness. This wasn't walking into a fire and embracing a sheer miracle. She had to be meticulous and smart. But not hopeful. Hope was lethal.

Whir, whir, whir.

She and Rhaeon looked at Doctor Octavius who was stuck in the middle, still wrapped up by his hijacked mechanical arms. He, like everyone else, was staring at the little red needle moving from left to right passing the third, fourth, and fifth floors of Happy's condominium. It was agonizing. Even the calm and cool stare Aeres Valaryen was giving Peter Parker wasn't that bad.

"So Peter," the king began. "What is your ancestry?"

"Father," Rhaeon groaned as Thea hissed, "Stop it."

"Valaryen blood is dragon blood and dragon blood means dragons," Aeres defended. "Our magic will not survive without that very blood in... future heirs."

Bex shared a grimace with Norman Osborn who stood next to her.

"Peter and I started dating four months ago," Thea snapped under her breath. Her red cheeks felt like hot embers. "Just be quiet! Please!"

"I believe a timely matter should be brought to your attention, pumpkin," he spoke in a voice as smooth as silk. "What you assure for your succession. If Mr. Parker desires to court the daughter of the God King—"

"I'm not your daughter. You're not a God King"

"—he must understand the responsibilities that come with it."

"I-I do, sir," Peter replied in an ironically fragile tone. When Thea looked at him apologetically, he offered her a reassuring smile. "And I support her all the way. For everything."

Thea could have kissed him right then and there.

Unimpressed, Aeres ignored him and looked at the soft-eyed girl. "It's expected of you to follow the traditions of your family. Your culture. How will you protect the Sovrani if you lose the ability to practice magic, to ride the dragons you birthed? Look at me and your mother! We were betrothed and married within a fortnight and we had two children of pure Sovrani blood."

He clapped a hand on Rhaeon's back, making the boy bite back a wince at the weight of the grasp. Aeres looked at Thea smugly. "I believe the proper verbiage is 'Thanks, Dad.'"