viii. project: hexpansion

MAEGYA | viii.
"IT'S THE PANTS, RIGHT?"
PROJECT: HEXPANSION

THE WAIT FOR college letters was nothing short of brutal

The three teens tried their hardest to focus on anything else but the real probability that they could get rejected from every school they applied to and their lives could be ruined in perpetuity.

The slew of baked goods and unconventional breakfasts from Bex was endless. The only thing she could do to keep from chewing her hair was to bake for an entire army. For Peter, he had gotten back into working out and resuming his regular Spidey activities to clear up his mind. As for Thea... well, she was no stranger to stress but now she had something else to focus her mind on.

Among other things, the Valoqar managed to recover Daerion Valaryen's Sētelion from Dragonfort to install in the storage room by the kitchen. It was a technological forge capable of synthesizing magic to fine-tune and analyze spells, remaining one of the most advanced systems in the world since the 1400s. The spinning wheel had no chance of winning against it.

The second it was installed in the condo, however, the Sorcerer Supreme had been keeping a not-so-silent tab on Thea. Every day she would have to teleport messages to Wong, promising that she wasn't going to create a universe-warping spell to enslave billions of people. The fear was warranted, considering who invented the forge and what became of him.

"Whoa," Bex murmured when it was powered on. A low, vibrating hum emitted soothingly like it was a high-tech white noise machine. It was hard to believe a legendary relic belonging to the most powerful family in history was now in a dusty work room in Happy Hogan's bachelor-chic condo.

The Sētelion's build was simple and sleek, consisting of two large steel disks vertically spaced a foot away from each other. The space between was almost glowing at a certain angle, like invisible glass. The magical nature behind the creation allowed it to float above the ground at face level but Daerion was a good five inches taller than Thea so she had to lift her hands to use it.

"It's like a quantum field generator," Bex remarked. She stood still, afraid that if she moved, the thing would blow up.

"How does it work?" Peter asked, equally entranced.

"Strange once told me that a spell is like a program," Thea murmured, gently dipping her fingers into the glassy space. It pulsed slightly at her touch like it sensed that she was its creator's descendant. "It's a source code that transcends reality... or shapes it."

Instantly, three tendrils of sparking energy intertwined, wiggling like—

"RNA," Bex murmured, knitting her eyebrows in disbelief. She slowly paced around the Sētelion. "Look at the helix, it's perfect. But whose—"

"It's Vissera's," Thea replied, smiling. When they looked at her in confusion, she flicked her finger and the glowing structure spun like a top. "I tried to use Rhaegon but he kinda got snippy."