I Can't

The girl's eyes widens a bit.

She was surprised that her confession was shut down in a matter of seconds. She thought that she did enough in order to become someone that anyone including her crush won't be able to resist.

Yet somehow it failed, the girl glances up with tears nearly ready to burst as she sniffles softly.

"...Why?" She asks. "...Why won't you accept me? I did so much just to be someone that could be loved by anyone... I trained so hard to be someone perfect in your eyes... But why won't you be my boyfriend?"

The boy only glanced away in shame, he knew more that this girl was being genuine with her feelings but Y/n knows that it only be nothing but heartbreak in the end, no matter the future.

This was a lot to handle for Y/n

"Because-"

Sting!

Cough! Cough!

Especially for his frail body as he starts coughing uncontrollably and falls to his knees. He holds his chest, his bag falls to his side as he propped himself with one of his hands on the ground and the other now covering his mouth.

"Y/n?"

He doesn't answer as he coughs more.

Why am I-

Cough- Splat!

...Blood...

It bursts from his mouth and either came out of his hand that curled into a ball or fell from his lips and dropped down from his chin and onto the ground or on his perfectly white uniformed shirt.

Quickly, he crawls for his bag and clumsily grab his pills and his bottle. One was empty, Y/n groans before he decides to swallow the pill dry with hints of blood and saliva that was left in his mouth to wash it down his throat.

He coughs once more, a few more drops of blood comes out until Y/n slowly die down with his sick symptoms. He breathes slowly, audible and sickening it sounds as Y/n was still on his knees and trying to get himself back to reality.

I thought I had time before I had to take again...

He touches his chest to feel his heart beating rapidly from the confession, '...That's probably it...' he thought as he takes a final breath and felt his body back to normal.

"Are you okay?!"

A girl shouts with worry, he nearly forgot that she had to witness the whole thing as he tries to wave it off.
"...Yeah..."

He frowns.

"...Actually, no... I'm not..." he gets up slowly, followed by the redhead who helped him to his feet and brought him to a bench nearby on the roof.

The boy sits down, she follows again and sits next to him as he starts to cough a bit, she rubs his back to help out with the concerning coughing he had. "What happened?" She asked.

Y/n huffed a breath through his nose. "...I'm... sick... and... probably dying..."

The girl jumps to her feet with shock. "What?!" She yells.

"W-What do you mean?! Are you joking around?!"

Y/n shakes his head, looking down at his chest and sighing. "...My body is weak... because my heart is slowly deteriorating for some reason... so I can't really do a lot of physical activities without... getting hurt... I don't really know how long I have but it's only a matter of time before I die since a most people with this condition don't really live after twenty-three..."

Y/n let's put a shaky breath, the thought of knowing when he can die is scary. Because he'll know that he'll die soon if he'll ever get that part of his age in any case scenario.

And with a beautiful girl being by his side and watching him suffer...

...That is too messed up...

"...Listen... Um..."

He tries to say her name but remembers that he didn't ask nor did she say her name.

"...It's Orihara..." she realizes this as well as Y/n nods to her.

"Thanks, Orihara..."

"..."

"...I really don't think we should be together... So just... forget that this ever happen and we just... never talk..."

That was Y/n's final decision, it hurts him and her a lot but things can get worse if he ever tried this whole dating thing out and let someone's heart get shattered because he has to "leave".

At least with this option,

She can just move on in a few days instead of weeks, months, maybe even years because my heart just stopped working all of a sudden...

He gets up to leave so he can pick up his medications.

...Fwoosh...

But a hand stops him.

It was grabbing his, he turns to find the girl.

Orihara, tears were ready to come as she had a sad frown on her face.

"C-Can't we just be friends?" She pleaded with a broken voice, all he does was turn away from her.

"...I'm sorry but I don't want to be a burden to you when I'm here coughing up blood unexpectedly and having you worry about me... and besides, there's other boys in the school that you can date that are... physically better than me... and are all who are more popular than I am..."

He was firm on the idea, he lets his hand slide away from Orihara's as he picks his bag up and head towards the exit of the rooftop. He opens the door and walked in, the redhead watched him from the bench.

A single tear had fell, the thought of the boy rejecting him didn't run through her mind one bit before confessing her feelings. And figuring out he had a limited amount of time to live made it worse.

She wipes the tears from her face.

...I still want to be with you...

She gets up from her seat.

...I don't care if you're not better than most people, I still want you...

She rubs to the door and swung it open, she sprints down the stairs and goes to search for the boy.

...My feelings are firm to you, no matter how many times you say I'm lying or say no...

"Y/n! Wait!"

...

"..."

I was supposed to die a few years ago...

Back at the entrance and exit of the rooftop, a boy could be seen hugging his back against the wall near the doorframe. A few tears falls from his face as he felt his heart finally calm after the moving confession he received.

...They said I wasn't supposed to live after I was twelve... Now I'm sixteen and still sick with this awful condition...

He groans softly as he pushes himself from the wall and starts making his way down the stairs to the bottom floor.

Why do I have to suffer still?

Then he exits the building, taking a few more steps outside until he stops by the school gate and turning back. He sees Orihara running through the school floors, passing by all the windows in search for the boy as he lets a tear fall from his eyes.

...I wish I could say yes to you...

"..."

He touches his chest one last time and feels it thumping softly.

...but with my heart like this, there's no way I could make you happy for long...