Chapter Four: Lesser Demons

***

Pant. Pant .Pant.

I ran, I had no idea why I was running, I just knew if I didn’t something terrible was going to happen. I decided to trust my gut, for I didn’t want to face that “terrible” thing. I believe I was in a dream, a dream so real that I could actually feel my energy weaken after running, a dream that felt so real that the wind blowing my red hair felt easy and light. Everything seemed real. From the thick forest that engulfed my path, to the shadows that seemed to follow me. I stopped.

Moving shadows…?

The big full silvery moon above me was not enough to unveil the shadowed creatures. I knew they must be creatures for shadows don’t move by themselves.

Right…?

I was stunned in silence. I continued. Something was definitely not right.

“Hailey…”

I turned, astonished all over again.

That voice…It was the same voice that has tormented me outside my dreams. I would be able to identify it anywhere. It was deep, melodic, and sweet. I could listen to any day. It came again. I felt a sudden urge to follow, to let the voice lead me. Let it carry me with the wind. So I did just that, I followed it.

It was like I was in a trance. I closed my eyes. Sweet soft voice.

“Hailey, you can open your eyes, my love”

Aghast.

 Appalled.

Perplexed.

These were all the sudden emotions I felt. The voice was breathing down on me.

Sweet and soft.

I waited, to afraid to open my eye’s and face whatever creature was before me.

“Its okay, love”

God, I loved that voice.

Opened my eyes. I wanted to confront that creature before me, I knew that terrible thing that I thought was perusing me, was now before me.

The first thing that I saw was the soft black cotton texture of a cloth. My eyes traveled higher and higher, till I was looking in eyes so hard and cold that, I felt a shiver go through me. It was at that moment that I noticed I was in a dress. It hugged me on my waist and flared all the way to my knees. It was a soft green; much like that field of grass we were standing in. My shoes were a gladiator sandals the straps traveling all the way to my lower knew cap.

I looked back at the stranger….he looked familiar…..

Where had I seen him… then it hit me.

The man from the gym, he had the same golden eyes and blue-black hair. God, he was hot. He was the hottest man I had ever seen. His high cheek bones were so perfect and his skin looked soft to the touch.

I stared.

“Hello, love”

 “wh…who…who  are you?”I stuttered

“I am Nathan” he replied.

“The prince of hell and you, are my queen” He smiled, that cold, heartless smile.

*******************

I bolted out of bed, my heart thundering against my chest like it had when I did the fifteen-mile run. My clothes clung to my body like second skin; my room was dark and unmoving. The moonlight spilled through my bedroom window, filling the darkness with light, while little stars twinkled bravely against the ebony black night.

I got out of bed, my body shaking from the dream; I let out a deep breath, the only sound made in the silent house.

I needed a run; need to feel the cool wind rush at me as I ran until the numbness took over me. I put one my shorts and tank top, and crept out of my bedroom, pausing every few seconds to reassure myself that my parents deep breathing was undisturbed. I avoided the stair that squeaked and as quietly as I could, slipped out of the front door and into the night. My road was silent, not a creature stirred, the soft light of the full moon was the only light source I had. I turned left, away from the houses to a path that led into a small wood. The trees were black shapes against the night. I jogged along the deserted path, my footfalls louder that what they would have been in day hour.

There was a gentle breeze, warm and soothing. I picked up my pace, already feeling my body protest, still suffering from the run. My blood was rushing, I could feel it under my skin, and drove into the darkness of the wood.

At first I started out slow, but then a sudden urge to run faster took over. Everything around was a sudden blur, the tress turned to green blurs and everything around it.

I have never done this in my lifetime, but I had to admit it scared me and excited me at the same moment. I enjoyed this.

I don’t know how long I’d had been running, but all I know was that the pain my chest forced me to stop, to take a breath. I leaned against the trunk of an ancient looking tree, eyes closed, concentrating on taking a deep breath. All around me there was silence, like as soon as the sun goes down, the word becomes dead.

Something was wrong.

It was this feeling in my gut that told me if I didn’t get out of here fast, I would be in trouble. But being the stubborn head I was, I stayed. Enjoying the cool fall air.  But in the end I decided it was better to go.

I was about to start my run back home, when I heard the ominous sound of a twig snapping.

My head snapped around, eyes wide, looking for the source of the sudden sound. The woods remained empty, but now my skin pricked like someone was watching me. There was the overwhelming smell of sulphur that was so powerful, it made me gag. It took a while for me to realize what the smell of sulphur meant.

Demons.

And there were many of them.

But demons don’t come into heaven, so how...?

 I felt something breathing down my neck; I turned in time to see a large stick swinging through the air. I only had time to dodge it, but another must have sneaked up on me, because I heard the sound of a club hitting my skull before I felt it. And trust me, when I did feel it, and it hurt like hell. My vision danced, and the stars began to look a lot brighter I only had time to glare at the full moon before I slipped out of unconsciousness.