Chapter 199

Someone might find it suspicious if they found the map. They could easily figure out where she went. Nixon Kingdom, marked with a red dot, was pretty obvious to anyone looking. So, she thought she should hide it and keep it safe from prying eyes. When she left, she would take it with her. It was a long trip and since she would be travelling by merchant carriage she would definitely be in need of a map. For now, she folded it up and planned to put it in her gym bag.

A polite and gentle knock rapped on her chamber door. "One moment!" Lila called.

Lila quickly hid the map deep inside the drawers of her desk. Even though she didn't know who it was at the door, she had to make sure no one knew about the map. Who was even up at this hour?

"Come in," she called, sitting at the desk and picking up a book to pretend she had been reading.

"Are you busy?" Hir asked, as he stuck his head in through the doorway. He looked around to see if it was safe to come in.

"Why are you standing there looking around? Come on in," Lila said, smiling pleasantly.

"If you're busy I can come back," Hir said shyly.

"What do you mean? You came personally to see me, so I can definitely hold off on any work."

"Really?" Hir certainly was hesitant.

"Really. There's nothing more important that you."

"It's just that Jane told me you work late at night and sometimes your light never goes out."

"Jane said that?" Lila laughed. "Well, Jane can be wrong from time to time. I was just taking a break."

Lila wondered why Jane would still be working so late as well. She would have to see about raising Jane's wage before she left. Jane has always been a trustworthy servant. Lila knew it was the right decision to reward people who have always been faithful to her.

Hir entered nervously. "You lied to me."

"Me? I never lied to you? What kind of a lie are you talking about? What did you hear?" Lila was shocked. She felt uneasy about what he may have found out, but she kept her face gentle so that he wouldn't be scared to tell her what he knew.

"You said you were taking a break! But you have all of your work books out! You are working, aren't you?" Hir looked really sad.

Lila felt two emotions at the same time. She felt a little embarrassed for being exposed that she had made up an excuse to Hir and she felt the feeling of relief that he hadn't somehow figured out that she was planning on leaving.

The look of concern on Hir's face made Lila wonder if he was starting to accept her and forgetting all of his past trauma. Lila knew that no matter how much time passed, one could never fully forget about being mistreated.

Even she still felt the trauma of her childhood after becoming an adult, but what Hir had gone through hasn't even been a year past. It was something that couldn't be forgotten.

Lila went to Hir's room from time to time. Often, he was deep asleep, but there were times that she witnessed him having a nightmare. She felt terrible every time. Because she loved Hir, Lila no longer wanted to see him suffering. This was another reason it was best for her to leave.

Lila's trauma had faded away a little after she had left the home where she was being mistreated and got away from the person who had caused the suffering. She couldn't remember the details much anymore, as the faces and events faded from her memory.

There was only one way to end Hir's nightmares. To bring his life back to normal.

"Mother! How could you lie to me? Even now you have the light on so brightly and your work books are in front of you." Hir's questioning was adorable, but she knew she would upset him if she laughed.

"Have you heard of a white lie?" Lila asked.

"Mother! Are you going to make excuses? Just for tonight, put down your books and rest."

Lila realized she did have a tendency to overwork, as she was scolded by her son. But it did touch her heart that her loved ones worried about her. Lila smiled as she looked at Hir, standing with his hands on his hips and looking at her sternly. She didn't know where he had learned this attitude from, but she liked it.

"Mother! Promise me already!" Hir was adamant.

"Ok, ok, I promise," Lila said, giving in to her child. "You know that I'm not one to promise so easily, right?"

"Yes, I know. I won't ask for any other day, just for tonight."

"I have a condition though," Lila said. Hir's eyes widened.

"Condition?"